low FPS rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderOath182

Beta member
I have pentium 4 3.4 GHZ
radeon 9800 256mb
1024 mb ram

and im running average 10 fps in counter strike. its driving me insane. Dell replaced my video card(which has been giving me problems for a longgg time) and that didnt fix it. it never did that before until my video card crashed. what do you think the problem is?

you need to change your screen resolution (size) - instead of, for example, 1024x768, use 800x600 ... that should help.

yea... 9800s dont really cut it these days. you will have to sacrifice quality for performance.

what settings do you have the game at at the moment? i would have thought it should manage 1024x768 low settings, or 800x600 with some AA+AF

EDIT: sorry, didnt read your post very well. since you replaced the vid card, I assume you didnt fiddle with the game settings at all. did dell replace the card with another one that is the same?

maybe your processor is overheating, causing the low performance? open the case up, and use canned air or something to blow all the dust out of the heatsink and fans. see if that helps at all.

I still had a very low fps rate when the graphics were set to the lowest. i changed the settings for my video card from quality to preformance and it still didnt work. i forgot to mention they replaced my motherboard, system board, and lcd display. they replaced some other things but i dont know what they were. they replaced my video card with the same kind of card. i sent it in for repair i believe they cleaned it for me. they thing is, none of my games lagged from low fps rate before my video card crashed. even CSI game has a low fps rate! call of duty 2, battlefield 2142 NEVER lagged but now it does. oblivion was absolutly smooth but now its terrible. i cant even play it anymore its so bad. and warhammer too. i used to play it all the time with no trouble what so ever.

I put my resolution down to 800 by 600 but that didnt help.

i still have warranty so im ordering a new laptop.

****. .same thing happens to me. .
i have a dell dimension 3000 ..

i was told my computer doesn't even have a graphics card slot.. . is that tru?

do i have to buy a new computer altogether?

no graphics card slot? pssht, bull ****, maybe no agp, but if it got a pci slot then you got a graphics slot. but hey, that pc should handle those just great. do ctrl+alt+del and take off any unnesecarry items, then go start/run/msconfig and go to the startup tab and take off anything you dont need. if you have the time and a standard xp disk, (not the one that came with the pc) reinstall and you will get some preformance back, because oem pc's load them with crap you dont need. plus with a bare xp install it will show the real preformance of the pc, when its not bogged down with the oem's crap. heres a pic that will show ya what is good to leave on there, and should leave on there.

Attachments

• d.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 34
WorldIndustries said:
Nobody suggested he update his video card drivers.

Pssh...

Might want to update card drivers. Try finding the OMEGA drivers for your card, most people find them quite appealing.

i have an ati radeon 9800 256mb
yeah well mine was already updated
it still had a low fps rate.
i downloaded the 3dmark03 video test program.
i got a pretty bad score.
my cpu got a badddd score.
but they replaced my motherboard so wouldnt they have replaced my cpu??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom