Putting together my ultimate machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnsnames

Beta member
All - I need some help; I spent the last day or so trying to put together my 'dream' machine. Please tell me where I am going wrong or am I on the right track... To the question what do I want out of this machine - answer, my wife not to find out how much $$$ I spent!!! Everything else is a possibility and low noise is a must (again, see wife!)... I'm kidding about the wife stuff I'm truly blessed in that department, all 280 lbs of her!!!

Think HIGH PERFORMANCE and LOW NOISE
- Lian Li V2100 B Plus (case)
- SeaSonic S12-600 ATX12V 600W Power (psu)
- TYAN S2895A2NRF (motherboard)
- 2 AMD Opteron 285 (2 cpu d/c)
- 4x2G DDR400 (ram 8G)
- 3Ware 9550 (SATA controller) 'for real RAID5 - 3g/s'
- 4 WD 250GB SE16 (harddrives)
- Quadro4 NVS 285 64MB

I realize I whimped out on the video a little but I need to save a few bucks someplace. I am considering a Sound blaster X-Fi, not done considering.

1 concern I have is keeping the processors cool, I am hoping the Lian Li helps in that regard I don't want to add another noisy thing to the equation.

I feel like I am missing something hence this post - am I? also Optical and 3.5 will be salvaged from my old machine.

THOUGHTS PLEASE - FLAMES too, if I deserve them...

Can i ask what you will be using the system for? also, 8GB Ram really needed?

Yeah your definatly better off to cut that amount of RAM in half even, and then take that money that you would be saving and put it words a good video card, because if your gaming, 64 MB just isn't going to cut it.

I failed to point out that I am not much of a gamer - so a gaming setup is not my goal but video concerns is nevertheless valid. Newegg has a good price on a GeForce 7600 256M - I might take the SLI leap and get 2 and leave the NVS 285 in the bone yard.

I need the RAM as my only legitimate use for this machine is to drive a 250G DB from time to time - so the RAM and SATA controller are important. Hopefully, I will be moving the DB to something else in the next 6 mos so the last thing I want is another DB server sitting idle. Also, I plan to run a couple different 64 OS's for educational/development purposes so I plan to make use of the RAM in that situation. Thanks to those that replied - anymore???

Yeah id get a better video card because you never know when you might need the video power and that one wont do much! the 7600 would be perfect or even a lesser model than that if your not gaming, but certainly a better card than the one thats in the first post!

OMG. U really need to learn a bit more about hardware before you start buying stuff.

1. 2 Opterons WTF. Those are server CPU's and also you would save alot more money if you went with a Core 2 Duo system.

2. 8GB of ram WTF. Windows can not use more than 2GB after that it slows down.

3. You are going to need a good video card if you want it high peformance. I recommend a 7900 GS, GT, GTX, GTO etc.

4. DDR400. waaahhh, well if those CPU's are AM2 it wont work. you need DDR2 i recommend DDR2 800.

5. Better off going with 1x750Gb and 1x250Gb if you really want 1TB

6. Get a brand name MB. I recommend ASUS, ABIT, GIGABYTE etc.

7. WTF is with a sound card. why spend so much on sound. you can use onboard.

If you want a Ultimate Computer got with this.

C2D E6600
Asus P5B
DDR2 800 2x1GB
7900GTO or GT
750GB and 250GB SATA II

"WTF is with a sound card. why spend so much on sound. you can use onboard."

Because some people care about sound...

***GMANYCH*** This is directed at your reply but I am kidding with all the S/A stuff - I know you can 'hang!!! I appreciate you taking the time to reply... Off to the show...

LOL, my brother my brother, I see you 'hang' in Australia, if my 'Americanized geography' studies serve me correctly, it is nice and warm in your neck of the woods, might I suggest you get out and enjoy the sun, maybe shed some of that pale skin tone, loose the black T's and for all that is holy, get a haircut!!! In other words, think outside the box, game box that is - pardon the cliché. In most circumstances I would read your post and quietly chuckle at your blaring inferiority complex but since I started the thread I feel obliged to give you a few morsels of information that might make you a better person even though I suspect you will put up an admirable fight. I only ask that you shed the Doom cap before reading further... Ready, this will be quick.

1. Fair enough, I put considerable thought into it - I came up with Opteron - I don't think I could explain to you in less than 500 words why I went this route short to say - I have good reason.

2. Too much wrong with that statement for me to say much, short of your wrong, wrong, wrong. I know why you say that but you need to do some homework before you repeat that statement in polite company...

3. Remember I am going the SLI route so the diff in immaterial.

4. I never mentioned AM2

5. That statement is just plan retarded. I don't know where to begin. You need some more homework here!!! Recall I'm not using the mobo SATA - 3ware controller - isn't the reason obvious? This one is really puzzling as I know where your coming from with most of your statements but this one is out there - BUT, I'll accept the fact you know something I don't so give it up WHY WHY WHY 750 + 250???

6. Thanks for the laugh!!! You don't know TYAN because their thing is high performance gear - SMP etc.

7. Crazy good tunes, that coincide with my digital editing (the real cause for the beast I am trying to build) don’t come from ‘ol school Ac97...

you should look for a dual 775 board, new dual xeons would do some nice damage with those conroe cores.... but dual opterons is still something i've only dreamed of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom