Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vista Minimum Requirements Unrealistic?
An independent hardware analyst firm has stated that they feel the minimum requirements of Vista are somewhat low. They believe that to be able to use the Operating System, you had better have numbers much higher than the 800mhz stated.

A much more realistic expectation, states the white paper, entitled "Sorting Out the Requirements for Windows Vista" (downloadable through registration), is for consumers to plan for either a 3 GHz single-core CPU or a 2 GHz dual-core CPU for their desktop systems. A 1.5 GHz processor may be suitable for notebooks. Windows XP can get by with much less.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Vista_Minimum_Requirements_Unrealistic/1165596677

Vista Crack Released?
It looks as though someone may have figured out how to activate illegal copies of Windows Vista, basically negating one of the major anti-piracy features of the Operating System.

I can confirm the cracking tools are out there. I easily found Web links to torrents of the crack. Supposedly the software contains a VMware image and visual basic script that acts as a pseudo activation server for Windows Vista. The user obtains a Windows Vista image file--also available on torrents--and activates against the pseudo server.

IÂ’m sure you guys all remember that after a time of illegal XP validations, Microsoft was able to easily put a stop to that as well.

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/cont...ans_big_trouble.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

I read the story at connected internet who got it from cybernetnews. who got it from tgdaily. Someone apparently bought a copy of Windows Vista in a store in Thailand for $3.50 and was astonished when he read the sticker that normally contained the product activation key.

The sticker told him to set the time of his bios to 2099, install Vista and set the time of the desktop to the current time. This should have the effect that Vista would not ask the user to activate the system after 14 days of usage, heck it will never ask for activation in the next 93 years. It is not sure if this method works with every version of Vista that will be sold but it surely sounds to easy to be true.

Microsoft got never tired of mentioning that the developers did a lot of concentration on security aspects - makes one wonder if those can be bypassed that easily as well. Is it illegal to do this ? IÂ’m not sure but it does not seem to be, you are not tinkering with the software at all. Time will tell, if you try this one out let me know.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/12/04/vista_thailand_threebucks/

lol thats exactly what i did with my version of vista. I just didnt enter any cd key at installation but with 2099 set as the year in the bios. After installation change it back and it works fine. Been installed for over 30 days and still says i have 30 days left.

Microsoft SoftGrid on Windows Vista
If you are using Microsoft SoftGrid in your company environment, You may consider the compatibility of SoftGrid Client on Windows Vista. There are many new features and security enhancements in Windows Vista. But it may conflict with SoftGrid Client. If the management board confirmed to Upgrade the Existing Windows to Windows Vista, And they also want to continue to use SoftGrid. DonÂ’t worry. SoftGrid Client 4.1.0.56 supports It!

To configure the SoftGrid Client on Windows Vista, You have to Disable the UAC Feature in Windows Vista first. You can disable it in ”Control Panel”, “User Accounts”. And then Install and Configure SoftGrid Client 4.1.0.56 on Windows Vista. Note| You need to add a new environment variable “SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER” on Windows Vista OR Change the %SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER% to the IP or FQDN of the SoftGrid Virtual Applications Server in the SoftGrid OSD File.

http://www.techlog.org/pivot/entry.php?id=2153&t=tagentry_template.html&tag=SoftGrid

Research firm Gartner Inc. turned soothsayer on Wednesday by predicting that Windows Vista will be the last big release of Microsoft Corp.'s Windows operating system.

The era of monolithic deployments of software releases is nearing an end and Microsoft will participate in the trend toward more flexible updates, Gartner forecast in a list of forecasts about 2007.

Mary Jo Foley, writing on ZDNet Blogs, has responded to Gartner's predictions by questioning the definition of a 'big' release.

"Bottom line: It seems a little premature to claim that Microsoft is done with major Windows releases. Even if the Redmondians further blur the lines between service packs and full-fledged OS updates (as they seem intent on doing), Microsoft and its hardware/software/services partners aren't going to let go of the concept of the big-bang OS update any time soon."

Foley makes mention of Microsoft's 'Cloud-OS' concept, which is looking at ways Windows Live could integrate with Windows Operating Systems in the future. The implication is that in the future, Windows may become more of an online service in the Web 2.0 vein.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=153

Wow if this is true it looks like M$ is backing down and letting other operating systems win

That is just a bunch of crap. I have seen these reports for the past few months. If it was true then why do we already know about Singularity and Codename Vienna?

If Vista is the last then these 2 projects would not have been announced and being talked about.

These stories are all about getting hits on thier web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom