Having trouble with my new WD HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShortThrow

Baseband Member
I can't get windows to recognize it. It's got the 8 pin set up and a label on top says "Master/Slave jumper not required for SATA" but I'm thinking that's the problem.

Any ideas?

Alright I think I've got it.

Now anyone know where there's a write up of how to tranfer everything from one hard drive to the other without having to reformat or reinstall Windows?

new problem. Seems like a bad one.

I got the data transfered. Transfered everything.

Then I took out the old 80g(IDE) hard drive a booted up with ONLY the new(sata) one. Worked fine the first time.

I then changed the jumpers on the old one according do the picture on the drive, put the old back in.

I then booted up and got "disk boot failed" or something similar before the windows load screen. So I tried just the new one, then I tried just the old one, then I tried the old one with original jumper settings. After all these I kept getting the same message.

Are both of my hard drives now wiped?

help

Update: I changed some things around to get the original HD to be recognized again. THen it booted to the blue screen of death.

I ran chkdsk /p and fixboot but now when I start up the computer, the initial BIOS readings go through but the computer seems to freeze on a secondary BIOS screen right before the XP loading screen comes up.

Any ideas?
Someone please help.

Update:

I got the new 320gig sata to boot up normally and I've now gotten the old ide 80gig set as slave. Problem is when I go to try and format the old 80gig with WD's program, it's listed as the boot disk and wont let me format it.

How do I set my new HD to be the boot disk/drive instead of the old one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom