Removing an operating system on a partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroShade

In Runtime
I am currently using XP Media Center as my OS and I had partitioned Vista Beta but have recently unpartitioned it and put the space back to my C: drive. Now when i boot up, the message asking me what os i want to use is still there and it was defaulted onto vista. When i click it , the error message states that is it simply not installed and that i should install it. However, I want it gone so that Media Center will boot up normally on its own like it used to. What can I do to fix this?

to do that, from a run command type 'msconfig'
one more way to do it is from 'my computer' properties, in the 'advanced' tab, select [settings] in the 'startup and recovery' section
from there you should be able to click on [edit] 'to edit the startup options file manually,...'

if that doesn't work you can enter recovery console from the OS install disk, follow the instructions to get to a prompt and type 'fixmbr' (for fix master boot record)

Its still not gone... so i went to the unmodified boot.ini and then it also added xp pro to the list so I deleted that from the file but I'm still getting vista on the list as the default as well... however its not saying anything about vista in the boot.ini file...

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=3
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

So Vista is still sitting there and my guess is that it has something to do with another .ini file doing it. Any suggestions?

Again...

if that doesn't work you can enter recovery console from the OS install disk, follow the instructions to get to a prompt and type fixmbr (for fix master boot record)

Here's a nifty little page to explain... Click Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom