setting up outlook on a server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

djchrisjohnston

Baseband Member
I am currently on a path of going for my MCSA. My question is how do you set up Outlook on a Server 2003 box so it is different for each user? Do you add in the services, create a OU and then make a distribution group? Or is it set up under the services and it just carries over to each user? I did have Server 2003 installed on a box but have moved and my g/f wont let me bring another computer over.

Thank for the help, If I forgot anything or i'm not clear let me.

Are you trying to setup outlook or exchange on the server? What do you mean by "different for each user?"

Thanks for the quick reply.

Outlook is the one in question.

IÂ’m wondering how outlook attaches to each user when they log in to the domain. Is it set up like "active directory user and computer"? Or do you have to install a specific role?

Outlook queries Active Directory for the exchange settings. When you create an account in AD, that is when you specify email settings.

Outlook depends on exchange so you would need an exchange env setup..unless there is already POP3 in place or something of the like.

Let me just make sure that I understand this correctly. On my server box I will have to install exchange, set up the email info in AD, then when some logs on to the domain the POP3 and SMTP info is attached to outlook when it is launched?

If this is correct let me know. Does exchange come with 2003 server, or is it an add-on?

Thank you both for your info.

There is a lot of ground to cover that can not be answered easily, but here is my response as a network admin who has setup many AD based networks from the ground up. I will first answer some of the questions.

First, no Exchange does not come with Windows 2003 server. It is a seperate piece of software that requires its own media, license, and install. The goal of exchange is to provide an E-Mail solution mostly used for large scale networks.

If you wanted an exchange based E-Mail env then yes you would have to install exchange on your server box. This would be easy for you because it would be a new Exchange env and there is no migration to perform. During the exchange setup is when you tie things into active directory itself (forest/domain).

When you create accounts in AD you will now see the option to create an exchange E-Mail account in addition to the AD account. This creates a mailbox on the designated mail store.

When the user logs on to the domain it is simply talking to the exchange mail store in terms of mail not authentication. I mean there is way way way more to it, but that is the simplest answer relating to mail only. The POP3 was just an example of another mail type it does not relate to exchange directly. SMTP is just the protocol mail uses.

Again these are very basic answers..if you want me to get more technical please let me know and I can advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom