advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbc

Banned
I recently had a problem on my PC at home and would like some advice on how to avoid this situation from happening again in the future.

Two weeks ago I found out that Microsoft dones not automatically download to PCs all of the updates, only the critical ones. So I went to download.microsoft.com and looked at what updates my PC needed. One of which was an updated modem driver. After updating the driver the PC worked fine until yesturday when I could not web surf then the PC would not recognize the modem. After working with tech support I found that the problem was the modem driver porely written. I have since roled back the PC to a point before the driver was isntalled.

Enough will my tale of woe. I have since looked at downloads.microsoft.com and I am wondering what is safe to install? Windows Media player 11? IE7? I don't use IE, but I would like to have it there in case I need to see a web site that demands it. Let's not debate the merits of the web browser I have already made up my mind what I the right thing for me to do. The question is what is safe to download from Microsoft?

At least security patches should be safe to install.I don't know about Media player updates/IE updates/etc,you never know with MS.

You are right Johnny, you never know with MS. Would you recommend tht I download from Mcirosoft things such as Windows Media Player 11 and Internet Explorer 7? Or does this go along with the rule that one nver knows with MS. Can I trust Adobe, Apple and Real NEtworks?

I wouldn't download driver updates from microsoft. Only from the manufacturer. As far as media player, that is really a personal preference thing. If you like WMP, then get the newer one, if you prefer Real Player, use it instead. This is why those are optional updates. I usually get all the security updates available except those for stuff I don't use like Outlook Express. I have never had any problems with Adobe, Real Player or Quick Time. Except for forgetting to remove an older version of Adobe reader before installing the new one. Oops.

How about other updates from Microsoft. Sometimes they putout updates that enhance the functionaility? I guess that I should avoid them too.

The patches for your OS are there to fix annoying things. Some you will need, some you won't. The security patches I would get, the others I research and find out what they do before deciding if I need them or not. They give a short description on the update site, but there is a link for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom