Im confused on Some directX stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikoman69

Daemon Poster
I know that sound cards and video cards have directX # compatibility on them. Right now, i ran some command in run, and it showed my directX (9.0c), but my video card only supports 6 or 7, its stock intel integrated. Im running a game on it now that requires directX 8.
Now, is directX 8 requirment for windows? Is that 9.0c it says i have installed windows version? And when theres just a directX requirment, not directX # ###mb video card required, theres a difference?

Basically what im asking is, is the 9.0c i have a windows version of directX just for the computer, then some games need a certain direct X either on the computer, or they require a certain version of directX on the video or sound card?

DirectX is a wierd thing. Okay basically DX (DirectX) is used mostly for gaming and for Video's.

Now your Video Card was designed for 7. While you run a DX8 game. You have DX9 installed.

Basically DX is backward compatable. So you can install DX9c while still work with 8 or 7. Depending on how old or new a game is it will require a different DX version. I still have some games that use DX2. While i run DX9.

Windows doesnt require DX to operate. DX is designed by M$ but it isnt needed to operate windows. Some things do require certian Video Cards that can do certian tasks. Like Vista for example. It does require a DX9 card. Not jsut a card that can do DX9 but a card designed specifically for DX9.

So there is no real answer for your question. Cause it all depends on what game or movie or, in the case of Vista, OS you are running what DX version and card requirements are.

Back when XP was designed there was only DX7 out i believe. When you installed something you installed DX9c. So Windows does isntall a certain version of DX but doesnt need it to run. It is only for videos.

I know i am going in circles but the main thing is depending on what you are trying to accomplish is what the requirements are. Doom 3 will require a DX9 card and DX9 installed. While Half-Life requires a DX7 card and DX7.

Same thign for sound. I hope that was a bit of a help for you.

so, basically, i only need the direct X 9 compatable video card if it says Direct X 9 Compatable ###MB video card required?
But, if it says direct x 9 (Included) that means its like the windows version, and it will install what you need if you dont have it?

You will only need a DX9 card if it says a DX9 card is required. The compatability issue may also be factored in yes but your current card may do DX9 as well.

As for DX9 being included it will install it or ask to install it if you do not have it currently installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom