Best video card I can get for 200-250

Status
Not open for further replies.
jared17 said:
Holy sweet mother of pearl! I went on tigerdirect.ca and noticed just now that the EVGA 8800 GTS is 479.97, thats with the rebate. and it is 500 without the rebate. Keep in mind these are Canadian prices lol. So now this kind of throws a wrench in my plan, because now I'm thinking well why don't I just save a little more and I could have that card:).

Ok the video card purchasing is on hold for now lol.

EDIT: Figured it out. If I asked for it for X-mas, and put 300 dollars towards it, which is my maximum for my budget, it would only cost my parents roughly 280 bucks, which of course means I won't be getting much else, but hey, its an 8800..who cares if I don't get anything else hahaha!.

agreed!! lol.. and the evga step up program means that you can later on trade in the card towards a purchase for another evga card.. but i think there was a 3 month limit to that.. anything after that and it would voice the step up program

NosBoost300 said:
agreed!! lol.. and the evga step up program means that you can later on trade in the card towards a purchase for another evga card.. but i think there was a 3 month limit to that.. anything after that and it would voice the step up program

Ya, the step up program sounds great, but then when you read the fine print it puts a bad taste in your mouth. You only have 3 months from the date you buy your video card to "step up" which makes the whole idea practically a marketing ploy since most people dont use video cards for 3 months and then switch.

So, any of those 3 companies listed above are quality companies, but just get whichever is cheapest or bundled with stuff you want.

NosBoost 300 said:
people need to state their definition of max out.. because my definition again... is full blast anti-aliasing, full blast anisotropic, and soft shadows on.. with a resolution no lower than 1280x1024

I totally agree :)

The evga step-up program sounds nice, but I don't really like dealing with the hassles of talking to companies and going through the procedures. For example, I hate rebates, well rebates online anyways. I didn't even bother with my rebate from tigerdirect on my NZXT Apollo case. some will probably think its stupid to not get the rebates, but I'd much rather just find the cheapest product at a normal price, meaning no rebate.

Either that or I just don't bother with the rebate haha. But now the sucking up begins, if I plan on getting that 8800.

KingAustin said:
Oh, it's a great card, don't get me wrong. Pretty much every other game out there you can have your graphic settings up pretty high. I can't remember exactly, but I either have Call of Duty 2 maxed out or pretty close, and same with Prey. HL2 runs maxed out maybe minus a few levels of anti aliasing and anisotropic. I usually just leave those settings off anyway to keep frames up and IMO, when you're in a firefight and just worrying about the group of 5 guys fragging you, you wont notice those settings anyway. I love my setup, should last me awhile (except when I upgrade to DX10) :)
my 7900 GT runs HL2 with full AA, full AF, and at 2048x1536, without lagging.
though mine is at 750MHZ

apokalipse said:
well, I do have a Sempron at 2.0GHZ, so that is saying something.

it does tell you how much potential a voltmod can give you though.

What kind of cooling solution are you using?

Zalman VF900 (video card)
Thermaltake Sonic Tower + 2 x 120mm fans (CPU)

the VF900 is good. it should be able to fit the 8800's; though the 8800's stock cooler is much better than the 7900 GT's stock cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom