windows xp logon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took this from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
3. Using your account name and password, double-click the DefaultUserName entry, type your user name, and then click OK.
4. Double-click the DefaultPassword entry, type your password under the value data box, and then click OK.
If there is no DefaultPassword value, create the value. To do this, follow these steps:
a. In Registry Editor, click Edit, click New, and then click String Value.
b. Type DefaultPassword as the value name, and then press ENTER.
c. Double-click the newly created key, and then type your password in the Value Data box.
If no DefaultPassword string is specified, Windows XP automatically changes the value of the AutoAdminLogon registry key from 1 (true) to 0 (false) to turn off the AutoAdminLogon feature.
5. Double-click the AutoAdminLogon entry, type 1 in the Value Data box, and then click OK.
If there is no AutoAdminLogon entry, create the entry. To do this, follow these steps:
a. In Registry Editor, click Edit, click New, and then click String Value.
b. Type AutoAdminLogon as the value name, and then press ENTER.
c. Double-click the newly created key, and then type 1 in the Value Data box.
6. Quit Registry Editor.
7. Click Start, click Restart, and then click OK.

now that is for if you want to not have to type in the password either, it will just automatically log you in. If you just want to get the default username, do this:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
3. Double click on "DefaultUserName" and change the "Value Data" to your username. then don't do anything else to the registry.

I just made that up, so it might not work, but it can't hurt.

for the guys with 'admin tools' missing from start menu...
try this: RIGHT-CLICK TASKBAR>PROPERTIES>START MENU TAB>CUSTOMIZE BUTTON>ADVANCED TAB
Scroll to the bottom, there is an option for the tools that is on "don't display this item"
change that!
As for the logon...
(when you're logged into a domain, it's not going to work)
1-make sure you're set to logon to "WORKGROUP"
2-there is an option in the 'computer name' tab of 'my computer' 'properties' that will allow automatic login
3-don't forget to clear the password

that didn't work. and i don't want to turn on the pc and have it go to the desktop due to my sisters.

ok
First make sure that you have done this:
Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts -> User Accounts -> Change the way users log on and off:

Uncheck "Use the Welcome Screen"

then:

start>run>mmc>ok
file>add/remove snap-in>add>scroll down to group policy>add
on the box that pops up click finish
then click close on the "add standalone snap-in" box
then click ok in the "add/remove snap-in" box
so now in the main screen:
expand "windows settings">expand "security settings">expand "local policies">click "security options">scroll down to "Interactive logon: Do not display last user name" and double click it.
Chose disable and click ok
exit mmc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom