Critique my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaketone

Solid State Member
Critique/Rate my System!!!

:beard:

So I just purchased a Dell -gasp- and I am very interested in hearing what everyone has to say about it. I'm not really a gamer (I just can't find a game that compares to what Quake/Doom were to me). I deal heavily in graphics and graphic-related programs such as:

Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Corel Draw and more.

Anyway, here is my setup:

Brand: A Dell XPS 410
RAM: 4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (is this dual channel?)
Chip: Intel 2 Duo Processor E6700 (2.66GHz,1066FSB) with 4MB cache
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE (with TV Tuner )
HD: 250GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
Monitor: 24 in Wide Aspect Digital Flat Panel Display
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, 32-Bit System
ETC; Dual TV Tuner with Remote Control, 48X Combo and 16X DVD+/-RW,
(i've had some "trouble" already regarding 4 Gigs of ram/32 Bit/Windows XP. view here)
------------------------
Price: $2600.00

I'm not going to ask, "Did I get my moneys worth," because most of you build your own computers; in so doing, you probably could have built this same system for a lot cheaper. Having said that, I'd still like to hear your critique & comments.

It's a fast pc man!More than enough for the programs you mention.And 4GB of Ram are great for image graphics editing.
Congats! :)

Ah, well, my other post just described my feelings about Dell, but let's discuss your computer, and disregard it's brand name.

Various parts of your computer are good, and some are bad. The CPU is excellent; I have an E6600 @ 3.2Ghz, so yours is a higher model number, but mine is faster. Your video card is terrible, you really should replace it if you plan on playing games at all, if not then leave it alone, it should serve it's purpose -- to display video.

We'll disregard your operating system too, as 1. I don't like Windows and everyone knows it, so it would be redundant for me to explain the reasons why, and 2. it makes no sense to me why Dell would include 4GB of RAM in a computer that runs an operating system that can only allocate 3GB of RAM.

The amount of RAM is good, but the speed and quality is low. Your motherboard is not a standard form factor, Dell tends to do that, and it most likely is of poor quality, lacking in over clocking features and things of that sort.

I love Dell monitors, we use them at work. The stands are excellent, the quality of the 24" one is fantastic.

I'm beginning to think that a better investment, not only monetarily but personally, would have been to just bite the bullet and build my own.

Sweet, my monitor is of high regard. I had originally ordered the 30" monitor, but after my order was delayed by 2 1/2 weeks, I cut my losses and re-ordered a new one under the current specials at that particular time. I must concur, the 24" is superb.

When you say my video card is terrible for gameplay, does this mean I wont even be able to play any modern games?

I also agree; Why did Dell allow me to build this system and in no way warn me or display some sort of indication that my current setup is not compatible? Yet when I select an incompatible set of speakers, my browser shakes, bells and whistles go off and I can't proceed any further until this is fixed. GG Dell.

jaketone said:
When you say my video card is terrible for gameplay, does this mean I wont even be able to play any modern games?

Because of your monitor being so high res (1920x1200, higher than the highest HDTV) the video card needs more power. I mean, you'll be able to play games, just most you'll have to put on super low graphics settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom