New computer, 4 Gigs windows cant support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jaketone said:
Thanks for your opinion. If I were to buy a graphics card to stay on top of things what card would you recommend?

Depends on your budget, what kind of games you want to play, etc. If your budget is rather high and you want to a nice card that will keep up for a long time, I would suggest either the 8800GTS or 8800GTX

Those 2 cards will easily handle any game out now, and will still do very well for games that will be released using DirectX 10.

However, if you don't want to spend that much, you can also get the 7950GT which is still a strong graphics card.

Re: Re: New computer, 4 Gigs windows cant support?

KingAustin said:
Unless you're running windows XP 64 bit (which you're not), 4 gigs is useless and I've actually heard causes worse performance than say 2 gigs. Not sure how, but that's what I've heard. Anyway, from the sounds of things, 4 gigs will be the magic number for vista.

this is absolutely true. I found that out the hard way. WarezMonster actually post a link explaining why. xp does allocate the ram properly. xp 64 and vista (which have the abilty to recognize 20-50 gigs of ram) does

jaketone, try raising the front side bus. your system might be under clock. come to think of it, dell purposely do that to their computers to keep returns down. dell is your problem

I have 4 gig and xp see it (4 or 8 gig is the max that xp can see)

jaketone said:
So that you don't feel left out, I'll include myself in your 1-sided conversation you are having with yourself and respond:

"If you were unable to discern, simply out of context, why I don't have an APPLE as a graphic designer, please finish bagging my groceries..."

Haha, good one. :)

jaketone said:
I see that you built your own system, and it looks great.
If you don't mind, I'd like to hear your opinion about my system in general.

I, too built my own system. If you want to know what people think about Dell -- well, you paid too much for what you got, but you get a warranty. I guess the warranty would be a good thing to have if you were using it for work, but the added cost, and lower quality hardware is what we don't like about Dell.

Then again ... when you build you own, each part has it's own warranty.

The General:

I wasn't aware that each part can carry its own warranty. I guess one could argue that such is a given, but I seem to have so many problems trying to return a broken broom to Target, so trying to get hardware companies to honor my $500 graphics card might take too much time.

If I could have built this computer myself, I certainly would have but I 'm not up-to-date with this technology. The last computer I physically built was in 1998; PII 300mhz (I think), 4 sticks of 64 MB ram with a VOODOO 1 graphics card. It was "31337" back then. I didn't want my first attempt since to end up costing me 2x as much simply because I bought wrong parts etc; What do you think my same computer could have cost me had I done it myself?

EricB said:
xp does allocate the ram properly. xp 64 and vista (which have the abilty to recognize 20-50 gigs of ram) does

jaketone, try raising the front side bus. your system might be under clock. come to think of it, dell purposely do that to their computers to keep returns down. dell is your problem

How do I raise the front side bus? And if I upgrade to Windows Vista will I be fine?

How do I raise the front side bus?

BIOS hommie, BIOS
The root cause to many, many config problems.

Can I ask you to show me your Boot.INI file? Windows with not detect anything over 3GB with out, I think (Keywords, I and THINK) /3GB after the end of the last text on your boot.ini file, which is why your's is most likely not set up like this...

When I get home from work, I'll post the following:

MY
1) Boot.INI file
2) CPU-Z Modules Screenshot
3) BIOS Settings ((is there a way to take a screenshot of these ?))

jaketone said:
3) BIOS Settings ((is there a way to take a screenshot of these ?))

Digital Camera :p No, there's no way to take a screenshot of your BIOS (or at least that I know of)

jaketone said:
How do I raise the front side bus? And if I upgrade to Windows Vista will I be fine?

this is where your problem will be. I bet you that the dell bios won't let raise it. dells are notorious for that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom