PC Health - Running Slow, sluggish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceaduo

Solid State Member
Let's get 1 thing out of the way - I'm new here and not all that computer savey.

Now, I've been having some sluggishness/slowness from my PC so I've done a little research and found that I may need to utilize a software program for Registry Cleaning. I've never done this and don't even know what it means, or how to do it. I've just seen the results of slow computer questions being answered, "Have you cleaned the registry?".

No, I have not.

So, I went searching/researching on how to do this (hey, that's how I found this site in the 1st place).

After googling 'registry cleaners' (or some such), I found:

Registry Mechanic - This software gets very good reviews and is found quite easily.

The question I'm posing is, "Is this worth the 30 bucks, or should I find something else?"

Any suggestions?

System:
Dell Diminsion DIM9100
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
2.79GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Micorsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

PS. I run emule 24/7. I'm almost positive that is having an effect on this system's speed loss. Any thoughts on this also?

try turning it off for a bit and see if that helps.

depending how much youre uploading it could effect your speeds.

Bruce said:
try turning it off for a bit and see if that helps.

depending how much youre uploading it could effect your speeds.

Thanks for replying so quickly Bruce.

1. Turning what off? The computer itself? Or emule?

2. My PC stays on 24/7 and emule continuously runs. I've seen results of emule alone reading: Up: 75.0 Down: 175.0 (if you use emule, you know what those #'s mean - you find them by hovering the mouse over the emule icon in the system tray). I know it's not super fast/alot, but it's good enough for me.

3. In my emule incoming folder, I carry/harbor about 30 gigs worth of data alone. I'm always deleting stuff out but continuously DL'ing replacements.

If you're looking for a registry cleaner, I would recommend CCleaner. It's a free program that will clean out both your registry, and it will do a general clean-up of your system by deleting the files that can get built-up in temp folders, browser files, etc.

I use a reg tool called "regisrty cleaner" and am quite happy with it.
my 2 cents

I'm not that much of a non-techy... I guess. I do know about cleaning some things.

I regularly:

Defrag
Disc Clean Up
Search & Delete *.tmp files with search feature
Internet Explorer Tools menu: Delete Cookies, Delete files & Clear History (after every use).

I don't know what registry cleaning even means, but when research PC slow down, it continued to 'come-up'. So I searched/googled and got a lot of results concerning Registry Mechanic and a few others. Thus my questioning in what is a good program? Do I need to buy one? Are the free ones just fine (minus spyware, etc.), has anyone used RM?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom