OMG! Possible Salvation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greencow_555

Baseband Member
Hi everyone,

About a a year ago now I lost my 300gb and all the data on it to a 'disk write error' that has since taken two more drives and was identified as the result of ATI software, or an incompatibility with ATI Software.

I recently switched over to an NVidia card and drivers, all is running sweet and I saved the third drive from total wipe out simply by dong this.

I noticed I still had my old 300gb drive on the shelf. I couldn't throw it out because I had dreams of recovering the precious data, but I could not afford to send it away. I decided today to put it in my machine and voila! my system actually recognises it! Until now, no computer in the house (4 different machines) had picked it up at all since the errors that killed it!

Anyway, I went to 'my computer' in XP and tried to access the drive. Unfortunately it gave me the old 'this drive is not formatted, format now?' message. I cancelled for now. I also could not access it from the dos prompt. It also is reading as 128gb from 'my computer' and the 'mycomputer/manage' window.

I am wondering... no... hoping.. alot, that there is someway I might possibly be able to use this moment and recover at least some of the data on the drive.

Can anyone please offer just a glimmer of hope?
Greatfully,
Gaz

Have you tried any data-recovery software?Maybe you will be able to get some(or all) of the data back :)
In any case,don't throw the drive away!

Greencow_555 said:
Ok, sorry, I've never heard of any data recovery software. I'll google it, thanks. :)

Gaz

yeah give that a go. I bet the partition table got hosed on the drive, or the mbr. windows cant read the partitions it sounds

Wkd thanks guys, I stumbled upon Rstudio in my google search (my home page also) and it did the trick. Lol, I scrapped the media, and now I just have the remaining data packed onto two 30gb drives I had lying around.

:) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom