Best video card I can get for 200-250

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't make me close this thread...
jared17 said:
EDIT: About the voltmods, I'd love to do them, but I'm not sure I'd be able to. Simply because my soldering skills aren't exactly the greatest in the world, lol.
you can just do the conductive pen mod, and get it to 1.55V

people need to state their definition of max out.. because my definition again... is full blast anti-aliasing, full blast anisotropic, and soft shadows on.. with a resolution no lower than 1280x1024

So I'm thinking my demands of having everything on and running at a resolution of 1280x1024 will be too much for the 7900 GT even?

King Austin, I'm curious to know about your experiences with the card, because my setup is going to be almost identical to yours.

jared17 said:
So I'm thinking my demands of having everything on and running at a resolution of 1280x1024 will be too much for the 7900 GT even?

King Austin, I'm curious to know about your experiences with the card, because my setup is going to be almost identical to yours.

Oh, it's a great card, don't get me wrong. Pretty much every other game out there you can have your graphic settings up pretty high. I can't remember exactly, but I either have Call of Duty 2 maxed out or pretty close, and same with Prey. HL2 runs maxed out maybe minus a few levels of anti aliasing and anisotropic. I usually just leave those settings off anyway to keep frames up and IMO, when you're in a firefight and just worrying about the group of 5 guys fragging you, you wont notice those settings anyway. I love my setup, should last me awhile (except when I upgrade to DX10) :)

Thanks KingAustin for the response. In all likelyhood I probably wouldn't have the Anti Aliasing, or anistropic levels turned up too high either, if at all. So the GT should be good then:). I too am also one who wouldn't notice the difference in the games I play if I had those things on, especially if its a fast paced game. Might be a little different in an adventure or role-player.

ya.. having anti-aliasing up full blast and all doesnt make a huge difference. you'll be able to play anything with detail and shadows full blast, but without the ultra high AA and AF settings

Well its settle guys. I'm going with....The 7900 GS, but now the question is, which manufacturer do I go to? XFX, BFG, EVGA?

Or does the manufacturer really make any difference?

Holy sweet mother of pearl! I went on tigerdirect.ca and noticed just now that the EVGA 8800 GTS is 479.97, thats with the rebate. and it is 500 without the rebate. Keep in mind these are Canadian prices lol. So now this kind of throws a wrench in my plan, because now I'm thinking well why don't I just save a little more and I could have that card:).

Ok the video card purchasing is on hold for now lol.

EDIT: Figured it out. If I asked for it for X-mas, and put 300 dollars towards it, which is my maximum for my budget, it would only cost my parents roughly 280 bucks, which of course means I won't be getting much else, but hey, its an 8800..who cares if I don't get anything else hahaha!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom