Find PC's location on a LAN, that we know its ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.

zillah

In Runtime
At work I have got a round 100 PCs and Servers on different LAN from mine (i.e VLAN) , I have got this ip address 192.168.1.55, I can ping this ip address, but I can not locate which PC is it ?

Is there an utility to help me find out where is that PC ?

Regards

you mean you're trying to use the IP to finding it's physical location?

well, computers, even on a network, don't know anything about physical location.
you'll have to just go to each PC, open a command prompt, and find out if 192.168.1.55 is the IP it is using.

apokalipse said:
you mean you're trying to use the IP to finding it's physical location?

well, computers, even on a network, don't know anything about physical location.
you'll have to just go to each PC, open a command prompt, and find out if 192.168.1.55 is the IP it is using.

Lol, that would be a pain if you had 2000 PC's.

Isn't this :
[C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator]nbtstat --?

Displays protocol statistics and current TCP/IP connections using NBT
(NetBIOS over TCP/IP).

NBTSTAT -A IP address

-A (Adapter status) Lists the remote machine's name table given its
IP address.

But the command above works for LAN only I believe

The best thing to do is get a map of your network. What you can do is ping the name of the pc and it will return the IP address but this can still take a while. Dont you have the on a server that you can just look up on the description on DHCP?

along those lines you could also use NSLOOKUP to find a workstation name from an IP Address.

nslookup

then type in the IP Address you have -- it will give you all the name space information on it.

then type exit to get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom