Odd texture maps for Halo demo

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
I have a 1.2GHz PIII Laptop with a 16MB ATI Mobility Radeon video card. While playing the Halo demo, I get seemingly random textures (orange and black lines) on walls ocasionally, almost exclusively in interior segments. Things like enemies and boxes and the like are unaffected. Any idea why this is happening and what I can do to fix it?

MicroBell said:
Minimum System Requirements for Halo..

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows Second Edition, Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), Microsoft Windows 2000, or Microsoft Windows XP.
Computer/Processor: 733 megahertz (MHz) processor.
DirectX: DirectX® 9.0 or later. (DirectX 9.0b is installed by Halo.)
Memory: 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM.
Hard Disk: 1.2 gigabytes (GB) of free hard disk space.
Video card: 32 MB with 3D Transform and Lighting capable.
CD: 8X.
Sound: Sound card, speakers, or headphones with multiplayer play.
*56.6 Kilobytes per second (KBps) modem or 10 MB network adapter. Multiplayer servers require broadband to run a server.
*Additionally, you must have an Internet Service provider (ISP) or a Local Area Network (LAN), if you want to play multi-player games.

Highlighted text...is most likely the cause. Surprised you can even run it. You can try another set of drivers...or turn off all the other features to see if it helps the issue.

In other words, buy a new video card!

That one is ancient, no wonder it cant play it correctly!

A Mobility Radeon (laptop equivalent of the PC's Radeon 7000) is supported despite the fact it lacks a hardware TCL unit. You can try to remedy the graphics issues with updated drivers and an installation of DirectX 9.0b, but even at the lowest possible resolution with the lowest detail settings, I don't see how a playable frame rate can be achieved.

I don't see how it could run either, but it does. The random textures are annoying, but in a way they actually help gameplay by making it rediculously easy to see enemies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom