New Mobo, Same Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

regeisle

In Runtime
This is a follow-up to this post
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132369

Basically, I have an Intel D865PERL mobo and p4 2.8 I was building a 'hand-me-down' rig from. Installed everything - started up, fans spin, no beeps, but no video. Thought it might be the vid card but a replacement yielded the same result. So, after some troubleshooting we determined it was the mobo.

Ordered a basic micro-atx biostar mobo with onboard video. Got it today and hooked up the basics - cpu, 1 stick of ram and psu. Power on, same thing!!! Fans spin, NO beeps, NO video signal. So unless something crazy is going on and the same problem is on 2 mobos, it's not the mobo .. it's not the vid card (tried with onboard and the same vid card), it's not the ram b/c i've tried 4 diff sticks I know work fine. Could it be the CPU? It was working fine before I took it out of the old rig and I did everything by the book. What are some signs that the CPU is shot? Could it be the PSU, even though it's giving power to the fans?

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. This is supposed to be a christmas present for my father in-law, and I still need to get everything installed and running correctly after I get the **** thing actually working. I'm sure there are more details I can give, so just let me know if I can elaborate any.

Thanks in advance!

OK, apparently it WAS the psu. For future reference, could someone explain how a PSU could give power to the board (mobo lights on, fans spin, opticals and hd work) but not let it post? I had an old Antec 420w lyin around that I decided to drop in and it went right into bios. The other psu was the Antec 350 that came with the Solutions case. I know they've been having some issues with psu's lately, but I figured it would either NOT work at all, or work fine. Something I did just notice with the 350 - it's a 20 pin, and 1 of the 20 holes appears to not have a gold "socket/tube" in it. Could this let it power up some things but not send enough juice for post? Thanks for reading through, glad my christmas gift won't be a boring empty beige case ;)

Power supplies can die hard or easy. You probably just lost on leg of power. Cause it puts out several voltages. 12V 5V 3V so the fans can still run but you could have lost the 12 V part. I have a little tool for checking power supplies. Cost me $12.00 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom