P4-945 or E6400?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BENizzle

Beta member
I'm currently trying to decide between the Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, and the Intel P4-945.

I want to be able to run most games, so logically the 3.4GHz unit (the 945) seems like the best choice over the 2.13GHz E6400. After reading a few articles however, I've started second guessing myself.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

amd's althon series was the processor to get for gaming, but intel's new core 2 dous are the best proc for gaming now. Just check out some of the builds in the high preformance section, pretty much everyone is getting a core 2 dou (i got myn about 2 months ago and it rox). If you know how to overclock too, you will have a proc that can handle anything out right now (as far as games w/ a good gpu and enough ram of course :p)

good luck on your new build

Ghz no longer decides the performance of a proccesor. The core 2 duo is a dual core proccesor, the pentium 4 is a single core. Theres no way you can compare a pentium to a core duo, even tho the core duo is clocked lower, it runs wayyyyyyyyyyyyy faster than the p4. Multiply the 2.16 by 2 and you get 4.26 which is how it would compare to the p4. Even the weakest core 2 duo will outperform the most powerful pentium 4.

ricanflow said:
Ghz no longer decides the performance of a proccesor. The core 2 duo is a dual core proccesor, the pentium 4 is a single core. Multiply the 2.16 by 2 and you get 4.26 which is how it would compare to the p4.

Honestly...I think that it might even be higher than that (like 5Ghz or something)

Anyways, I've got an E6400 and I freaking love it. I went from a Pentium M 1.6Ghz (roughly equivilant to a 3Ghz P4) to an E6400. I overclocked it to 3.2Ghz and it was 3 times faster than the Pentium M which is a HUGE difference let me tell yah.

anyways, even if I hadn't overclocked my E6400 it was still around 1.67-2 times as fast as the Pentium M so with that I'd say that it's roughly a 5Ghz P4...but that's a pretty rough estimate. I know that with mine overclocked it's faster than a 7Ghz P4 so that should really tell you how good these things are. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom