Laptop not performing at said speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tolkien

Baseband Member
Hello, I recently bought an HP Pavilion dv5000 Intel Core Duo 1.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache w/ 1G DDR2 MEM + 100G hd.

My laptop had been going at a pretty slow speed so i decided to see the speed in CPU-Z and it resulted in this:

6e1af6976f.png

Please help! I spent 1700$$ on this laptop and its running at 900MHz?!??!.. CPU temp is at 42 degs in relation to everest home edition...

that 1.83ghz might be two 974mhz processors put together, or u r using too many things with ur CPU, better remove some programs! nvm on the first part u may have overheated it, so try overclocking it... it migth be the program u use, use system information, cuz i've heard that cpu-z can have probs with core duo and core solo pcs.

no, ur not using all of the cpu, so it's not running it at full speed. Pull open a benchmark program or a game, and it will go at full speed.

I know now that there is a Power-Save function on the CPU, so it will throttle itself down when not needed and throttle to full speed when needed to save battery life.. pretty dumb as i have it plugged into the freaking wall... some battery to save.. -.-... and it keeps jumping between 1800MHz, 1300MHz, and 800mhz :\ ... that cant be good for the cpu.. all that constant jumping

Oh, I didn't know it was going up and down.

That's called Intel's "SpeedStep" Technology ... it does it to save power.

I'm sure Intel wouldn't have implemented such a thing if it were bad for the CPU. ;)

Its designed that way and will not hurt the CPU. You wont see a performance difference if it ran at the frequency at all times. As more processing power is needed, it will rise. Its not just for battery but for heat as well.

NHC has a similar feature as Speedstep. You can even throttle down your laptop till 200Mhz (12.5% of 1.6).. I've tried, and it saves power..Internal clock remains at 1600Mhz but "pauses/waits" are created to simulate that said frequency or just reduce the strain on your processor thus increasing battery life....
Whoa, does anyone here tried overclocking their laptops? I tried mine, it's just a Celeron 380 @ 1.6Ghz but I've tried overclocking it once to 1.9Ghz stable..But later on I tried again and settled to just 1.75Ghz...No worries...Umm, can anyone help me with my system? I need an uber techie buddy here...

OMG, wait.. yonah runs at Socket 479 mPGA? is it not Socket M? or Socket M is for Merom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom