Computer Posession a Possibility?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonathan1

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

I am new to the forum. I have been building/modding/troubleshooting computers for quite a few years now. I have a strange issue. I just arrived home the other day from a mission trip to Africa. My bedroom is being turned in to a nursery for my sister's soon-to-be-born child. My parents moved my case while I was gone in preparation for painting of the room. I know what you're thinking and I am thinking the same thing...doh...don't let a novice move your computer! I couldn't do much since I was in Africa and live in CA.

Anyway, the problem is that when I plugged my computer back in to power and flipped the PSU toggle switch on, my computer instantly SPRUNG to life! GAH! That wasn't supposed to happen! Before I left, the computer was running and had been running seamlessely.

I tried pressing in the Power Switch and holding for a few seconds to shut 'er off and she powered down and SPRUNG right back to life! Haha. I can only turn it off by using the toggle switch on the back of the PSU.

What I have done: (after reading around on these forums)

1. Took the computer outside and manually "blew" the extra dust balls out of the computer...was thinking it could have been a short in some of the switches being bridged by dust...no luck...same problem.

2. Disconnected and reconnected all the plugs that were being used in the PSU...No luck...same problem.

3. Switched the actual power cable that leads from the PSU to the wall socket...No luck...same problem.

4. Changed the power cable plug to a different slot on the power strip...No luck...same problem.

5. Disconnected the recently reconnected the ethernet cable (thought it might be set to "wake on LAN" even though I'm not sure what that means to begin with XD)...No luck...same problem.

Any ideas? Could the careless moving of my computer via my mom have damaged something?

Thanks for the help.

-Nate

try a different power cord, the grounder might be defective
or/and
keep the power cord plugged in the PSU and the outlet, switch the PSU off, pull out the CMOS battery for five minutes, while its out press n hold the power button for 20 sec to get rid of any current left in the mobo, plug the battery back in, switch her on and post back!

also on the mobo, remove the power plug that switches the mobo on/off, instead plug the reset button and see if that works, if it does then time 4 a new power button

ok.

I did what you recommended, sylwek.

The computer still has the same issue after removing the CMOS batery for 5 mins. and pressing the power on button for 20 seconds.

I would also like to add that if I hold in the power switch (which is set to Soft Off in BIOS) that it repeatedly restarts itself after shutting off.

sounds to me like ur power button is short circuited, unplug it and plug ur reset button instead and see if it continues

?

How is this possible?

The power button seating pins on the mobo take up 4 pins...the reset switch is just 2 pins.

Am I misunderstanding what you mean by:

"unplug it and plug ur reset button instead ans see if it continues"

-Nate

i dont know wat kind of mobo ur using but every computer i have has this..

wat i meant is unplug ur Power Button, leave it unplugged and plug the reset button where the power button used to be

since u said it uses 4 pins take a paper clip and touch the the power and the grounder together instead of the 2 pin reset button and start her up

Oops. I was looking at the speaker lead from the chassis wiring

X(

I did what you suggested and then flipped the PSU switch on and I am having the same issue with the Reset Switch wired where the Power On Switch was previously.

Hmm.

Bump for others that might know what I can do to fix an issue where my computer turns itself back on after depressing the "soft off" power button and shutting down via windows....

*scratches head in confusion*

-nate

You could have a shorted motherboard. Unscrew the screws that hold the motherboard to the Box and slip some static bag under it and try to power it up. I just take everything out of the case and lay it on a static bag and plug everything into it on the table .I have a cheater wire just a power switch from a old computer that i plug into the power connection on mobo for testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom