Windows Trojan masquerades as Vista hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
A week after Windows Vista's official launch hackers have devised their first attack, targeting pirates trying to install illegal copies of Microsoft's operating system.

A supposed Windows Vista crack called Windows Vista All Versions Activation 21.11.06 is reportedly doing the rounds, offering those tempted by the chance of sticking it to Microsoft the ability to install illegal versions of Windows Vista.

However, the software is not a Windows Vista crack and pirates get something they didn't expect - installation of a Trojan called PSW.Win32.LdPinch.aze - something with a "high" threat level.

Apparently, most anti-virus scanners can recognise the Trojan, but NOD32 and the latest software from Norton won't.

The installer follows in the footsteps of a Windows XP hack circulated by the devils0wn group in 2001, which allowed users to bypass product activation of Windows XP.

Windows Vista is currently available for download only to customers on Microsoft's volume licensing deals and won't become generally available until January. The Trojan would therefore likely hit certain business users and those working in businesses passing on copies to friends, family, or colleagues.

Worryingly for business users in general, though, is the fact the Windows Vista DVD has been designed to make it easy for third parties' software to be inserted with the operating system for mass distribution. That potentially lets hackers insert their code just as easily as Microsoft partners.

http://www.theregister.com/2006/12/06/windows_vista_trojan/

Warez Monster said:
A week after Windows Vista's official launch hackers have devised their first attack, targeting pirates trying to install illegal copies of Microsoft's operating system.
Heh, so a "punishment" for pirates...Nubius will be pyssed. :)

Not to go off topic, but let's all remember that the "total rebuild" of Windows never happened, because the scope of the project became too large. Vista may be a new OS, but it still will have some of the same problems as older OS's. Albiet, a lot fewer, since supposedly they got IE away from the file system (finally), as well as other "fixes."

'Course, this thread's gonna become a massive "Why can't we steal Window$, man!" thread...Good luck.

I'm very happy because pirates are working very hard to find a way to crack vista. I don't want to pay $300 for vista

Anyway there is something that I don't understand, how did the pirates get this Trojan ?
Did Microsoft make this Trojan to prevent pirates from installing illegal copies ?

maroon1 said:
I don't want to pay $300 for vista
Don't. I've never payed that much for a Windows OS (except server editions). Buy it OEM or get it bundled with something. The copy of XPsp2Pro I use for my main box at home, cost me $89 OEM. For my GF's PC, it was free because it was bundled with a bare-bones rig that I built-up.

maroon1 said:
...how did the pirates get this Trojan ?
Do we care?
Sure, if it was a trojan set out for evil intent, maybe, but one set out to prevent illegal activity? Hey, whatever.

I suppose you could make the case "to what end?" but you have to pick and choose your nightmares.

ya thats what ppl get for trying to be cheap, but its easier to get an express upgrade or have it built in the PC, my friend bought a PC from DELL (this guy is dell obsessed!) and got that express upgrade coupon thing, and sold the PC on ebay for the exact price excluding shipping, so he got Vista for almost free, and he will let me use it!! yay us!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom