Random Rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm calling BULL. BULL!

I'm also halfway to invoking Man-Law and demanding you buy a whole new computer for being such an idiot in the first place. :mad:

nice of you to be a complete tool, but no really, why are you trying to be rude now? i come for help, i would assume me saying that ive tested that stuff wouldnt have you come in and basically call me a liar. if you are helping people out with computer issues you should understand what all i have done to troubleshoot the issue. so you say BULL? whats with the negativity? im here for help, and at first thats what i was givin, all of a sudden its BULL? and ya, my "flake" hard drive works fine in other machines

well thanks to all that took the time to think it over and lend some ideas.

I think it could be the Heatsink that cas come off the board if its hitting 80*C in the BIOS, reseat it with new thermal paste, as to me, that sounds like the problem, and especially a Pentium 4, they are TOASTY BEASTS!!! A Hard Drive cannot really cause a computer to shutdown, check that nothing could be shorting to the case, and thats it, other than that, it could POSSIBLY be the video card, if its dodgy, they tend to bring systems down on their knees if they go tits up.

Ruan

About your 200MHz FSB, it actually is a PHYSICAL 200MHz, Intels have a "Quad Pumped" Bus, so it has four busses effectivley, 4*200 = 800Mhz. Its not 800MHz, its like saying well, i have a dual core 2.6GHz, so its actually 5.2GHz, its not, its still 200MHz!!

You said you replaced the mobo and CPU.

You said you tried a new HDD...

You said you reseated everything...

You said you've tried a minimal hardware test...

Other than your power supply, which we've already mentioned, there's nothing left that could be effected by anything short of a baseball-bat smackdown...

Tell us...When your machine turns off, do the lights go out too?

he also stated he hasnt tried different ram, still the problem seems nuts I blame the case and something being shorted out. Although the heatsink fan could also be the problem like RGELLIS said.

I rule out the heatsink, since he said he replaced the CPU...which I would assume meant he had to re-mount the sink...and there would be ways of telling if that was true. He could simply touch the heatsink right after the machine shuts off. If the sink is hot, it's doing its job. If it's cold, it's not.

Since he's already reseated the RAM, the only impact large enough to damage the RAM that much would obliterate the case. Mobo sockets would need a significant amount of G, too, to get the chips to damage them...and he said he replaced the board.

I'm having trouble thinking of what else there could be...though I must admit I'm not throwing my full falculties at the issue...less so now that even before.

A short might be a valid approach, but if reseating everything didn't do anything, nothing he can, will. He can try building the system outside of a case, as it has been said already...

...wait a second...Osiris0320, where EXACTLY did you "smack" the case?

It could be possible that you've damaged the switch, and it's blinking off with vibration or some other subtle movement...

Man, why on earth would you hit your PC??? That's what foreheads are for!

The power switch? well one way to tell is to either use the reset connector on the power pins or use a screw driver to touch the 2 power pins while plugged in and see if it starts up. Although it seems doubtful..

exchanged the new mobo and processor out last night, slapped in pc, now working. thanks for all the help. thanks for being a smart *** as well shoobyrat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom