Need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad809

Solid State Member
Hello everyone, this looks like a great community and I highly appreciate the fact that you help out confused users like me. Thank you to anyone that replies, or indeed, looks over what I have to say.

So, let me begin, alot of members on here are pros when it comes to powerful machines. I'm buying another computer soon and have the specs lined up here. Is it possible for someone experienced to let me know if these specs work well with each other, is there something I can get for a small amoumt extra that would boost performance substantially? Just any reccomendations or advise would be really appreciated.

Windows XP x64 Edition
AMD AM2 Athlon 64 Dual Core 4200
nVidia e-GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
250 GB Maxtor DiamondMax
Asus Crosshair AM2 nForce 590 2000FSB
OCZ Platinum Series 2GB 800Mhz
SATA Super AllWrite DL DVD +/-R/RW/RAM x2
ThermalTake Tsunami Silver Aluminum
ThermalTake 680W PurePower PSU

Here is what I am dividied over: Intel vs Amd. Now I'm normally an AMD guy, but after seeing numerous benchmarks and reviews on popular tech sites about the new Intel Core Duo, I thought it was best to get that CPU instead of the one shown above. On another forum, every member said that I should go with Intel Core Duo. (I will be getting, at minimum an E6600 if I go with Intel Core Duo). Is this a wise choice, is AMD still my best bet?

I've also been told that I should stick with XP Pro x86 instead of the x64 edition.

Another problem is the GFX card and mother board...am I getting the right ones here? Basically, if people could just throw me their advice and reccomendations. :)

Thank you to anyone who replies!

Definitely go for the E6600. Not specifically that one, any C2D will do you great and crush any of the AMD processors judging by reviews and benchmarks.

Get a motherboard to match, for my build I'm using an Asus P5B-E but looking at your budget you can go for a P5B Deluxe, P5W or a Gigabyte DS3. Again, I've read about but not tried these motherboards, but they do appear to be some of the best motherboards to get if you're going C2D and want to overclock (which, judging by your memory, is what I assume you want to do).

While I'm an AMD guy myself, I'd have to say that if you're building from scratch the C2D's are the current 500 pound gorilla.

As for a motherboard, if you can afford it go with the nVidia 680i chipset:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813188009

The 680 stomps anything Intel has out in performance and overclockability.

While Seagate now owns Maxtor, and has extended their warranty to three years, I still wouldn't trust one. Look at either a WD or a Seagate SATA2 with a 16MB cache.

Everything else looks good.

ya that 8800gts will be awsome, the case and power supply are both good. Go for a c2d e6600, and if you want an awsome oc'ing mobo the 680i.

Oh, awesome. Thank you everyone!!

I will check out this 680i you speak of. Also, I wasn't planning to overclock this system...should I?

Bump.

Should I consider overclocking this machine or not, and would I need any other components to do so? Such as extra cooling?

Core 2 Duos are very OC-friendly. You could probably kick it up a few hundred Mhz on stock cooling, but I wouldn't go any higher until you buy a better CPU heatsink and fan. Two big names are Zalman and Scythe Ninja.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom