Prescott vs. Northwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Merlin said:
Because they are a bit slower than Northwoods currently:confused: And run quite abit hotter aswell

All new chips start out a little "buggy". Give them time and the prescotts will be perfected. Just like when p4's were using the willy core, they sucked. Then northwood came out, which was great.

Well if Intel doesn't decide to change the prescott's socket tyoe , this could mean myself making processor upgrades in the future as the Prescott's performance rises.

a 2.8GHZ Prescott is outperformed by a 2.8GHZ Northwood
a 3.0GHZ Prescott is about equal to a 3.0GHZ Northwood
a 3.2GHZ Prescott outperforms a 3.2GHZ Northwood

Prescotts are designed to run better with higher frequencies

I have a 2.8E ghz HT processor. i've heard that this is the prescott with 1mb l2 cache, but it doesn't say it expressly on the box. anyways, i have a asus p4p800s motherboard that says it supports HT, but the chipset is not on the intel approved list of intel chipsets approved for HT technology. could anyone point me towards anyw way that i'll be able to see if the HT works or if not, how i can turn it on? thanks

Hyperthreading is turned on in the BIOS. On my MSI mobo, the option is under advanced chip options (or something like that).

If you're running windows, you may have to reinstall for it to act like it has two processors. I installed Win2000 on my computer, without turning on HT. Later decided to try it out, but win2000 didn't want to act like it had two processors. Left it on, and forgot about it, eventually had to reinstall windows. Win2000 saw two processors after reinstall.

hilowe said:
Hyperthreading is turned on in the BIOS. On my MSI mobo, the option is under advanced chip options (or something like that).

If you're running windows, you may have to reinstall for it to act like it has two processors. I installed Win2000 on my computer, without turning on HT. Later decided to try it out, but win2000 didn't want to act like it had two processors. Left it on, and forgot about it, eventually had to reinstall windows. Win2000 saw two processors after reinstall.

I know there is a way to tell windows 2000 you have two processors, I don't know how that would work with HT though. I'm sure you could find out by searching google.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom