Ms Dos 6.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
bannedv2copy.jpg

Sorry to revive this topic again, but I have two new issues that are relevant to the title.

First, I obviously need to create a network. My first thought was to just use an ethernet hub, but one of the computers is the one that MS DOS came with, no ethernet exists and no possible way to add on. So, a serial connection from the old compaq presario to some random computer, and from that one continue with the ethernet network. Will this even work? What problems might I run into and what do you suggest? Is there another better way to set it up?

Second issue- a gateway my friend dumped on me wont boot past legacy mouse and keyboard detected, regardless of what the boot order is. as soon as it starts, I should be fine.

NP glad to help if I can.

I think your serial solution would work but I have absolutely no idea how to tell your computer what to do, especially not in DOS. I've never network with that os.

So I'm assuming the Gateway doesn't boot off a diskette either?
This is most likely a problem with either the ram or mobo I'd say. Run memtest on it and see if it picks up any errors.

you may just need to make sure another protocol is loaded (maybe netbeui)
some old puters just don't run on tcp/ip properly

Link68759 said:
I tried a variety of linuxes (all of which sucked btw).

omg n00b. :mad:

"I don't know how to use Linux, therefore it sucks."

Link68759 said:
actually the ones I tried couldn't do anything (linux). most of them kept saying features like things like "this feature is not yet implemented" for everything I did. I found slax and I like that though... still would rather have DOS

I've been using Linux for almost 3 years and I have never ever seen anything like that. Think about it, if Linux "couldn't do anything" then why would people use it? Sounds like you couldn't do anything. ;)

first, I am not an idiot, second this is off topic, go away.

Possibly I downloaded a whole bunch of linux rewrites by losers?

DOS wont connect to an ethernet netwrok since
1. There are no drivers written for DOS to use a ethernet adapter.
2. No way to force one to be recognized.

So your solution might work but then you would have to go thru 2 PC's to get to the network. That might not work. It all depends on the network setup. Some dont allow Rmote connections to the network thru a "ghost" machine. Or basically a machine that is acting as a gateway for another.

As for the gateway the best option is to go thru the steps. Check the Memory with MemTest. If that doesnt solve anything then check other components. Like Mobo, ports and so on. Sooner or later you should come across what is causing the problem.

It is kind of old (gateway). As it cannot boot from anything, I can't run memtest. I'll try cleaning it up a little and see if that helps... and yes I know how to clean it without killing it for good lol.

Please clarify on what you mean by "you would have to go thru 2 PC's to get to the network."

Keep in mind that Win3.1 is also installed, if that makes a difference as far as ethernet support goes. Also, Doom may take care of the ethernet by itself, and that's all I really want the network for. It has 3 options for connection, and off the top of my head I think they are serial, modem and something else.

edit
Serial Cable
Modem
IPX Compatible Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom