AMD question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
KNiGHTMaRe89 said:
what's the deal with AMD lately. it seems like their getting manhandled by Intel.

it's like there not the same as they once used to be...

does anyone have any info about what's the deal here?

They are getting manhandled, that's the point. And its not the end of the world, AMD isn't exactly going to go out of business because of this.

KNiGHTMaRe89 said:
after reading those articles, i think AMD has something very big up there sleeves and when they drop their bombshell people are gonna crap themselves.

Yes yes, the crystal ball. We have seen it before. You know what I predict? That as soon as AMD drops this bombshell of theirs, Intel is going to drop a bigger bombshell just a few months later, again manhandling AMD. Except the thing is, I have more facts to back up my prediction that you have yours.

AMD has no bombshell. They have a new architecture called K8L. It is supposed to be released in Q3 2007. It will have been a year since Intel released their Core 2 Duo by the time AMD releases their answer. The K8L has been designed to be competition for the Core 2 Duo, not necessarily overtake it. But lets say that AMD's answer is better than what the Core 2 Duos are right now; what do you think Intel is doing? Sitting around smoking cigars? Hardly. There are better, faster models of the current Core 2 Duo series already on the way. One year is a long time to be late, and the competition usually has an answer for your product.

But that's not even the beginning. AMD's new processors on K8L will be 65nm ones. One Quarter (anywhere from 1-3 months) after AMD releases their K8L series, Intel is releasing their 45nm shrink of the Core 2 Duo, named the Penryn. With better instruction sets, further Core architecture advances, and clockspeeds ranging from 3.5-4.0Ghz, Intel is going to wipe the floor with AMD's K8L processors (clocked from 2.0-2.9Ghz). So even if AMD manages to beat the improved Core 2 Duos with K8L, it will have 3 months or so before having to face Penryn's assault. AMD's 3-month dominance period with K8L won't be nearly as impressive as the 3-year dominance period of the Athlon 64s.

^that all sounds nice but i dont believe release dates until i see them i remember being told that the core 2 was going to be released before the summer of this year and i ended up waiting about 4 months for them to become available at the expected price.

i just hope prices keep getting lower and performance higher idc by which manufacturer as long as it works im good

Camshaft said:
do you guys think i should wait for the 65nm amd x2
how big will the advantage be?

100% Valid question.

It's an AMD processor.

It's the NEXT AMD processor.

We are talking about AMD's future are we not? :rolleyes:

There's little that's changed in 65nm processors except possibly they're cooler. The performance is going to stay the same, its a size shrink, not a processor reinvention. K8L is going to be AMD's next new processor.

Lord AnthraX said:
What about Ridgefield? Dual Core CPU with 6 megs of Cache?

Yorkfield Core FTW :D

As far as I know, the Ridgefield you're talking about is the Wolfdale, and yeah, its one of the 45nm processors that'll run 3.5-4.0Ghz.

Processor discussions are like being stuck in some kind of Star Trek episode, going around and around in the mobius loop...

Let's not forget that the processor is nothing without the system. The memory and chipset architecture that backs it up is just as important (if not MORE important) than the CPU itself.

You can have the fastest CPU...but if your system architecture sucks and your chipset supports bunk in features, what have you got? High-speed bunk.

Of course, Intel has been cramming it down our throats for years that SPEED IS EVERYTHING!!! FASTER FASTER! MORE HEAT! MORE POWER CONSUMPTION! FASTER! FASTER!

...This might be a good marketing ploy for the uninformed masses...but we (or most of we) know better...

TriEclipse said:
There's little that's changed in 65nm processors except possibly they're cooler. The performance is going to stay the same, its a size shrink, not a processor reinvention. K8L is going to be AMD's next new processor.
...You make it sound like making things smaller isn't important. :confused:

ShoobieRat said:
Processor discussions are like being stuck in some kind of Star Trek episode, going around and around in the mobius loop...

Let's not forget that the processor is nothing without the system. The memory and chipset architecture that backs it up is just as important (if not MORE important) than the CPU itself.

You can have the fastest CPU...but if your system architecture sucks and your chipset supports bunk in features, what have you got? High-speed bunk.

Of course, Intel has been cramming it down our throats for years that SPEED IS EVERYTHING!!! FASTER FASTER! MORE HEAT! MORE POWER CONSUMPTION! FASTER! FASTER!

...This might be a good marketing ploy for the uninformed masses...but we (or most of we) know better...

...You make it sound like making things smaller isn't important. :confused:

What? So faster processors aren't actually faster?

Nothing to see here folks, you can go about your business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom