Dead Motherboard in my new comp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

9mm2000

Solid State Member
Hi, My I have recently built a computer but am having problems with it. When I first put it together it was fine but around 45min after it was on the bottom on the screen took the reflection of the top part and froze. I had to turn it off but when i tried to restart it the computer would not post. I then tried to reset the cmos but that did not help. When I turn it on the fans will spin and i can hear my drives turning on but the screen remains black. I do not think it is the cpu because I was watching the temp close and it was only are 35-40C on my E6400. So thinking it was the motherboard I pulled all the things out as I have heard that if is working it should beep to say that all the parts are missing. It did not make any sound so all I can assume is that the motherboard is dead correct? Also if it is dead newegg will let me return it right? I have tried many different things and I am pretty sure It was put together correctly because this is my second build. Any ideas that you have are greatly appreciated, or any comments at to what seems to be the problem.

my mobo is a ds3 965G
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128018
cpu is a C2D E6400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115004
PSU Rosewill 550 watt
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182027

it may well be your mobo but try a diff gfx card and ram first, just to rule them out since you described graphics problems

might be also VGA or RAM problem my friend.
according to what you said, "it was on the bottom on the screen took the reflection of the top part and froze" is forced more to vga problem. replace every part you suspect that might causing the problem. if there any news post again.

The G model on the ds3 already had integrated graphics so that is another reason I think it is the motherboard. There is no way for me to test the ram since I only have one stick of it. Do you know if that mobo needs ram to post since some do and some donÂ’t(older ones I think). I tried it both with and without the ram and it never worked. Also when I have the cpu in and turn it on it will go on and off ever few seconds like it is trying to start but cant. So I guess it is a good chance the mobo is the only problem of should I also return the other parts? I just want to make sure this is not a cpu problem because I cant return it for much longer. One last thing I do not really get is that if the motherboard was dead then why do things plugged into it still work?

You can't make sure if the problem is on mo/bo or cpu without checking the cpu on another system, or the system with another cpu. also since i know there is nothing (equipment) to check the cpu if is ok.

About that: "One last thing I do not really get is that if the motherboard was dead then why do things plugged into it still work?" Motherboard has many circuits that working separetly, or according the voltage on other spots (on other circuits). Some could be ok if are stand alone circuits, some might will not functioning because of harm on other spots.

So is there any way to tell if the mobo or the ram is dead or will I just have to try it and fine out? Since it keeps restarting if the cpu is in does this mean there is a problem with it or could the motherboard be the only cause?

no.. still could be anything, and still there is no way to check what is the problem. that's why people make the workshops :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom