Vantec Cooler in Antec LANBOY...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know about fitting, but these things are kind of gimmics imo... here is why i think this. typically, the sides of your hd are made of plastic... the part that these coolers attach to the most firmly are the sides. so you are trying to conduct heat from the most insulated part of your hd. not to mention you dont use thermal paste on these so the contact surface area is very small which proportionatly decreases your conduction capablity
the placement of the fan is nice, but it only cools one side.
i recommend positioning your hds in front of a case fan blowing perpendicularly. in other words... the fan should be blowing at the end opposite from where the cords connect. this will probably work as good if not better than a hd cooler. my hd's dropped by ~5-8*C (i have a wire lead thermocouple attached to the top of the bottom hd) by doin this. and its pretty much free.

it kind of looks like the lanboy is already set up for this... do you have your hd(s) in front of the big front fan?

cwiz said:
I dont know about fitting, but these things are kind of gimmics imo... here is why i think this. typically, the sides of your hd are made of plastic... the part that these coolers attach to the most firmly are the sides. so you are trying to conduct heat from the most insulated part of your hd. not to mention you dont use thermal paste on these so the contact surface area is very small which proportionatly decreases your conduction capablity
the placement of the fan is nice, but it only cools one side.
i recommend positioning your hds in front of a case fan blowing perpendicularly. in other words... the fan should be blowing at the end opposite from where the cords connect. this will probably work as good if not better than a hd cooler. my hd's dropped by ~5-8*C (i have a wire lead thermocouple attached to the top of the bottom hd) by doin this. and its pretty much free.

it kind of looks like the lanboy is already set up for this... do you have your hd(s) in front of the big front fan?

yes i do. actually, my c: with os and program files is usually around 95f or so and my backup with documents and settings is around 80 - 85f. i was hoping maybe to get them a little cooler maybe 5 degrees on each. but then again their cool enough.

btw, i know this is a little off subject, but would you be willing to sell that 3800??? haha

lol, err... thats unexpected :)

i guess it depends on how much u wanna give me

cpu only... no hsf

i'd be willing to cut a deal to send my aquagate mini80 with it... it keeps it very cool. between 25-30*C at load w/o as5 (it has stock paste on it)... i've been to lazy :eek:

cwiz said:
lol, err... thats unexpected :)

i guess it depends on how much u wanna give me

cpu only... no hsf

i'd be willing to cut a deal to send my aquagate mini80 with it... it keeps it very cool. between 25-30*C at load w/o as5 (it has stock paste on it)... i've been to lazy :eek:

im gonna PM you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom