Errors from Memtest86 for 0-1MB regardless of which DIMM's I use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronc

Beta member
While running Memtest86 I get errors in the first megabyte of memory regardless of which DIMM's I have in the sockets. (I have tried rotating them and testing them one at a time.) This leads me to believe that the problem is with the CPU or motherboard - maybe L2 Cache?

The most common error is as follows:
Location Good Bad Err-Bits Count
00000100020 - 1.0mb 80808080 80808000 00000080 61

It first appears with Test #3 - Moving Inversions (8 bit patterns). When I limit tests to the first megabyte of memory I get numerous errors at other memory locations and with many different tests. Most of them seem to have the same error bits - 00000080 - which is curious.

I haven't been able to produce errors in any memory locations above 1mb except in two cases: 1) when I switch the memory sizing to "Bios - All" in which case there will also be errors at 001fee5e48 (510.3mb) and 2) when I tried to add an additional 1gb of memory. This additional 1gb showed extensive errors following a similar pattern as I recall. But I returned it thinking it was the defective module!!

My system is a Gateway 831GM with Intel (Augsburg) 915G motherboard, Pentium IV 630 Processor (w/HT & 2mb L2 Cache) and 512mb RAM. I have duplicated the errors with Memtest 3.2 and Memtest+ 1.65.

Any thoughts? It looks like this isn't a memory module problem but something to do with either the motherboard or CPU, but how do I tell which?

Thanks a bunch,
Aaron

HOw many total Errors at the end of the test?
A Bios FLASH may fix it. However it is more likely that the DIMM slots are dammaged and you should use the others, OR the RAM is bad and it should be replaced.

First thing is to try the Sticks in different combinations using all Slots you have available. If you still get Errors, Flash BIOS, If you still get errors buy a cheap stick of RAM and try it. Still get Errors than I would contact gateway for a replacement Motherboard.

be aware that if it is still under warranty use it first. If not go ahead with what I said because doing so would void it anyways.

Thanks for your reply STE.

On the first pass for Memtest86+ 1.65 I get 61 counts of the error I described above and one count of this error:
Location ---------------- Good - Bad - Err-Bits
00000074670 - 0.2mb ffffffff ffffff7f 00000080

As you can see the Err-Bits field is the same - 00000080.

I checked my BIOS version and it is already the latest available so I'm not sure if flashing it would really change things. And given that there is already a memory problem - couldn't flashing the BIOS with this memory make it worse? I have evidence that these problems have corrupted some of the files on my computer, I don't see why they wouldn't also corrupt the BIOS.

As I stated before, I already tried different combinations of the DIMM's. The errors occurred in the same place either way. So it looks like it's not the memory modules themselves. Any way to know if it's the L2 cache?

Thanks a lot,
Aaron

I don't know how we would figure out, if it is the L2 Cache. The next Step is to Buy Some Cheap Value RAM and run memtest on it. Like I said, if you still get the same problems you should contact Gateway for a replacement Motherboard, And Or CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom