Computer on 24/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfc469

Daemon Poster
I've been folding for TF lately keeping my computer on 24/7 with the CPU working at 100%. Is this safe for my computer? Am I shortening it's life? I don't think its getting too hot because it's only 66 degrees in my room.

The life span of a CPU is measured in millions of hours, so you ain't hurting it. Overclocking shortens a CPU's life, but they still will last for years.

If you mean 66F in your room, thats good. Yea theres no problem leaving it on 24/7, as long as you keep it nice and cool. Trotter is right. I think I heard the processor having a life of 8-10 years, before it starts to slow down. Most people will get a new computer before that time, so don't worry.

I run my folding rig 24x7 (also cause it is my Tivo rig), and only turn on my gaming machine when I play WoW.... mainly to cut down on the 'lectric bill.

ok, i guess Ill just leave it on then. It heats up my room which is good because its so cold in here

I heard this from some people. Computers give off that much heat to feel in the room? I feel nothing from mine.

yeah, its only a degree or two, but it makes a difference. when my feet are cold, I just stick them next to the fan that is blowing the hot air out.

There have been a couple of threads across many forums disscussing whether its better to leave your computer on than shuting off during non-use. On average it was agreed that Leaving it on is Better.
It is because there are more things that can go wrong during start up. That and the Expanding and contractingof components when turning off and Turning on.

Besides, if it was off you couldn't fold/seti or Torrent. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom