Monitor not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan7777

Baseband Member
Hi my computer is not recognizing my monitor in normal windows mode, even though it sends a signal and displays fine during start up , and in safe mode. I had to go to a net cafe to send this sad plea for help. Here's what happend...

I turned on my computer without my monitor pluged in, its not USB, its one of those blue plugs with the two screw things on the side and square with pins inside. The top side of the square is wider than the other. You know that one.
(ACER AL1913)

So I pluged it in after it had loaded up, (maybe during, not sure) and nothing happend, there was nothing on the screen like I wasn' t receiving a signal. Just black.I rebooted and the screen was showing the usual boot up stuff, so i know it's connected properley and all that, so i thought it was working but just after the windows splash page, when the "log in window" usually pops up, it goes black, I briefly get my monitors firmare "no signal" message. Also the green light next to the monitors power button goes orange, wich it usually only does when the monitor's turned on before the PC is turned on.

I rebooted serveral times with the same effect. I had to reboot into safe mode just to be able to shut the PC down from its start menue. So in Safe mode the screen shows up as it usualy does in this mode.

I did a few things to try and fix it wich may not have helped....

I removed all the monitor entries from the device manager hoping it would have to re-recognize it and then re-install the drivers for it. I got all the exact same symptoms trying to boot into normal windows. It also didn't re-load monitor drivers going into safe mode. It's wierd. I have no montior listed in my device manager now but the symptoms aren't worse than they were before. I also merged a copy of the registry i had from earlier in the year and it made no difference.

I've never gotten my "safe mode with network support" to actuall connect to my DSL so i've had to go to an internet cafe to post this. I will be back tommorow or the day after to get any feedback, if any. Feel free to dump multiple things to try at once or in order as it will save runing back and forth (i've recently recovered from a sprained ankle).

Thank you very much for your time.

Keith.

windows 98SE
VIA KT133 chipset

I think its your graphic drivers. You should reinstall the graphic drivers in safe mode. That should fix you up. The reason the computer starts in safe mode is it loads generic drivers for video. You could also check before you reinstall the drivers to see if the display settings like refresh rate and such are good.

what would my drivers be?

Ok i need to re-install my grphic drivers, can you help me figure out what those are and how to do that?

Here's a bunch of specs from some program that lists it all off, it's a exerpt. I hope needed info is in here. Is there a difference between video/graphics/diplays adapter?;

Would that be all the same drivers? Can you help me find those drivers with this info? I would have to burn them to disk at the net cafe and load them up at home.

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98 SE
OS Service Pack -
DirectX 4.09.00.0902 (DirectX 9.0b)

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon, 807 MHz (8 x 101)
Motherboard Name Asus A7V (5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 1 AMR, 3 SDR DIMM)

Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8363 Apollo KT133
System Memory 384 MB (PC133 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Medallion (07/21/00)

Display:
Video Adapter nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Asus AGP-V7100)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Creative SB Live! Player 1024 Sound Card
SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

BIOS Properties:
Vendor Award Software, Inc.
Version ASUS A7V ACPI BIOS Revision 1003
Release Date 07/21/2000
Size 256 KB
Boot Devices Floppy Disk, Hard Disk, CD-ROM
*******over clocking section*******
Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 07/21/2000-VIA-KT133-<A7V>
Motherboard Name Asus A7V (5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 1 AMR, 3 SDR DIMM)
Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8363 Apollo KT133
Memory Timings 2-2-2-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Graphics Processor Properties:
Video Adapter Asus AGP-V7100 SDRAM
GPU Code Name NV11 (AGP 4x 10DE / 0110, Rev A1)
GPU Clock 175 MHz
Memory Clock 166 MHz

:D

Is that where i remove them from the device maganger or from somewhere else. Because as i mentioned in my first post i allready removed monitor entries from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom