buying a new computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dweeb

Baseband Member
hello everyone, i'm new here (as you can see)

i'm planning to buy a new computer for christmas

i've done a small amount of reading recently regarding processors, RAM and graphics cards etc

primarily, i want a new computer so i can play the latest games such as Medieval 2: Total War and the like which require a lot of RAM

my current computer is an intel pentinum 4, 2.8ghz and 512mb DDR and i don't consider that adequate anymore

i've been looking at this computer mainly: clicky

basically, i am wondering if this rig is suitable for my needs (basically high end gaming, nothing else)

if anyone could help me out, i'd appreciate it, thanks! :)

Both of the computers on that site were pretty nice. Out of either of those, you'd be able to play all of the latest games at decent settings. You'd definitely notice a difference between that and your current computer.

Just keep in mind, that although they are nice-looking, they aren't "High-End." "High-End" will start at around £800-£1000.

Welcome to TF, by the way:D

Some of the parts I would suggest in a computer like you are wanting would be

cpu: c2d e6300
Graphics: 7900gt or gs
RAM: 2gb would be nice

@Elbatrop1: well, that certainly is good news.

which one would you choose? the only obvious difference i can tell between the two is the processor, i don't care about the hard drive size and i think my current graphics card (radeon 9800 pro) is better than either of those two - is it? :eek:

what i really mean is, is the more expensive one worth the extra £100?

oops, i must have posted in the wrong forum then! apologies! thanks for the welcome btw! :)

@lancec2c30: thank you for your suggestions, but i think i will opt for a pre-built machine... i don't think i have the patience or the expertise to build one myself!

I don't think a 9800pro would be better than a 7600gt. I think the 4200+ and the 7600gt should ok though. I'm not sure how reasonable the prices are in UK for ordering individual parts, but so far I haven't had a problem buying my own parts which are better quality, at a cheaper price.

It doesn't take a lot of expertise to assemble a computer. I've swapped RAM, HDDs, and vid cards out of numerous PCs, and if building is anywhere near that easy, then...it's easy lol. I'll be building my first rig in just a few more weeks.

dweeb said:
@Elbatrop1: well, that certainly is good news.

which one would you choose? the only obvious difference i can tell between the two is the processor, i don't care about the hard drive size and i think my current graphics card (radeon 9800 pro) is better than either of those two - is it? :eek:

what i really mean is, is the more expensive one worth the extra £100?

oops, i must have posted in the wrong forum then! apologies! thanks for the welcome btw! :)

@lancec2c30: thank you for your suggestions, but i think i will opt for a pre-built machine... i don't think i have the patience or the expertise to build one myself!

O no I never ment to build your own, I was just giving you some guidelines to follow. You should be able to find those options in most new prebuilds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom