e6300 overclocking motherboard and ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ste: well I guess I just want to see how my P5B Deluxe compares to its cheaper brother. Stupid uber-looking black PCB made me fall for that mobo lol.

j369852147412: the DS3 is an excellent overclocker, according to the reviews I've read (I can look up the links when I get home if you want).

As for RAM, why do you want a single module? Two modules will allow you to use a dual channel configuration, where memory bandwidth is dramatically increased.

Concerninc OCing RAM, there's not too much difference between the good brands: Corsair, OCZ, gSkill. Mushkin, Crucial... any will do. Be sure to get at least DDR2-800 though, since it will give you more room for overclocking. A low latency (CL4) might be nice, too, but they're a bit more expensive.

Finally, 1GB should be enough. Unless an app is using almost all available RAM, it won't really limit your OC, and pardon me for saying so, bzflag. Go test it out: run your favorite game, then ALT+TAB out of it, open the resource manager and check how much RAM is being used. Most of the time you'll see around 700MB - 800MB (half from Windows+background apps, half from the game). If you're on a tight budget, buy 1GB now, and upgrade to 2GB in a few months.

my computer will be mostly for gaming and buring dvd's and stuff and probably some photoshop once in a while. i want 1x1gb because i will probably get another gig of ram when i get enough money. so i will not mind 1gb of ram right now but soon i will upgrade to 2 gb. i will overclock so i will need ram that will overclock well and ram that is stable.

Quoting myself:

Concerninc OCing RAM, there's not too much difference between the good brands: Corsair, OCZ, gSkill, Mushkin, Crucial... any will do. Be sure to get at least DDR2-800 though, since it will give you more room for overclocking. A low latency (CL4) might be nice, too, but they're a bit more expensive.

Just go to newegg and find something that fits your budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom