Cooling/Memory problems... WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must have misread your psot a bit. So you're saying after changing the timings, your pc worked perfectly until just recently?

Hmmm... are you changing the DRAM voltage? Make sure it's getting enough power for the timings/frequency you're pushing into it. Anddon't forget a 1:1 FSB:DRAM ratio, or close to it can help If you OCed the CPU to 2.6Ghz, but didnt increase the RAM speed, then your RAM is transferring stuff too slowly to take 100% advantage of your CPU's speed. Make sure the CPU is getting enough voltage too.

I'm trying to think of other settings that could change things... Do you still have the RAM packaging? I'd like to know the "default stock" speed, timings, CAS Latency, etc.

Nope, no RAM packaging. I havn't tried increasing the voltage.. but last time I did it I never changed the voltage if my memory serves me well. I just left it on auto.

My CPU is not overclocked atm.. I won't be OC'ing it until I get the memory sorted out.
As you can see.. its a real b**ch to run with shitty memory. I can't even run the worldbuilder well without lag :eek:

Need to fix it pretty soon, as i've got a map I am going to enter in a contest that needs a lot of fine tuning. My BETA testers are getting impatient too!

Hmm.. well after swapping the RAM around I have now got 73% efficiency and around 3900mb/s bandwidth.. but I still need about 4500mb/s?

What?

I've found out what the beeping was... it wasn't my CPU at all.. it was my GPU (n00b) - the reason it was overheating - my PCI Blower was directly under it and was sucking all the cold air away from it, so it couldn't breathe. I moved that to the bottom slot (to help my soundcard) and I left a open slot under my GPU to let it get air.

I monitored the temperatures after doing this and it stayed nice and stable, and it never beeped again.

On the other note, i've managed to get my 2GB up to around 4500mb/s bandwidth (from 3500) and 74% efficiency (from 63%).
This seems to work fine in games, as I experience no lag on any of my games at full settings.
BUT I would still like to somehow tweak the memory to get it higher still. I don't think its possible to get it to 80% without changing the timing to 1T... but of course THAT is impossible, as I have more than 1GB of RAM.
I've tried bumping up the speed to 200mhz... but that doesn't work.. just freezes my PC.
Everything is at the lowest values, like read-to-write time, CAS latency etc.

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom