Windows Apps open very slowly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eucharistfreak said:
My page file was in the dxdiag: Page File: 751MB used, 5232MB available.

I use Norton for my A/V and Spysweeper for my A/S.

All Window's Drivers are up to date.

As for software, other than an occasional clean up app to solve this problem, such as a freeware registry fixer, nothing else. Usually downloaded once a week or so.

Hardware: In July I added two gigs of RAM to my then existing one gig.

A Radeon x1900xt 512 gpu, all drivers updated on that.

And lastly, a new psu, PC Power and Cooling Silencer 470 W.

How do I find running processes?

Your RAM, are the sticks identical?

I started out with two 512 mb sticks at pc 3200 400mhz. The ones I installed were two one gigabyte sticks, also at pc 3200 400 mhz.

They are on dual channel, and I only have four slots so they are all used up.

Take out the new RAM and see if the problem persists. Scanning for malware is always a good thing to do. Running memtest is too. Test each stick individually. http://www.memtest.org/
Download to a floppy, put it in your floppy drive and reboot. It runs on its own as long as A is the first boot device. It can also be burned to a CD and run the same way.

Yeah, sounds like a Trojan to me, the other thing that could just be easier is to back up your documents, and give windows a clean install. Generally quicker and easier, I would also personally remove Norton AV from the system, as it is pretty bad! Install AVG Free, best one out!

Ruan

RGELLIS said:
Yeah, sounds like a Trojan to me, the other thing that could just be easier is to back up your documents, and give windows a clean install. Generally quicker and easier, I would also personally remove Norton AV from the system, as it is pretty bad! Install AVG Free, best one out!

Ruan

AVG is THE best free AV out there. Norton will murder your system, it's a resource hog..

For the memtest thing, do I download the source code or the prebuilt and isos?

For a/v, I have a free trial of nod32, should I try that instead or go with AVG instead?

Thanks for the help so far

Open run and type msconfig then select startup, check your programs that start with windows. Close any programs the you dont need .Theres always a few. Just be carfule not to turn off virus scanners or sysyem files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom