some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Daemon Poster
Hello

For the past few weeks, Limewire randomly starts up on my computer. It can be running fine and suddenly it'l start opening up. I've checked my settings for it and I dont see anything that would cause it to start like this. Any ideas?

Even more mystifying is that over the last 2 weeks or so, if my computer is inactive for a fairly short period of time, I think 10 mins or maybe even less, it'll go back to the XP login screen. Thankfully from that screen it doesnt take that long to get back in, but the 30 secs or whatever it does take, all told, is quite annoying. I hate watching a movie and suddenly seeing it quit to that and having to just wait there all this time.

Any advice?

Thanks
Daanish

Limewire is evil. Sounds like somebody has changed your screen saver settings. Do some scans for malware pronto.

check the settings in your screensaver tab in desktop properties (powersave options are usually at the bottom)

as for the limewire, superdave is right, PURE evil. I'd recommend an uninstall immediately!

aight done the uninstall. whats wrong with it tho, it never gave me problems in the past?

in the power everything looks OK to me. of course im not sure what im looking for. i dont mind the monitor shutting off, what i do mind it going back to the logon screen. to be honest im not sure if i have one or two users on this computer <sheepish grin> i think its one but i could have two. but at this login screen i just see my name, i just have to click on it again to get back. its just the irritation of going back and forth.

When you open the power options, check to see how long before it shuts off your monitor,hard disks, and how long till system standby.Then click the hibernate tab and see if nibernation is enabled. To turn the Welcome screen on or off Open User Accounts in Control Panel. Click Change the way users log on or off. Do one of the following:
To specify that users log on to the computer using the Welcome screen, select the Use the Welcome screen check box.
A user logs on to the computer by clicking his or her user account name on the Welcome screen. If a password is assigned to the account, the user is prompted to type it.

To specify that users log on to the computer without using the Welcome screen, clear the Use the Welcome screen check box.
The Welcome screen will no longer appear when you start the computer. To log on to the computer, type your user name (and password, if you have one) in the standard Log On to Windows dialog box.

To open User Accounts, click Start, Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click User Accounts.
Fast User Switching is available only when the Welcome screen is turned on.

(Some info was plagiarized from the windows "help" section)

Go to Control Panel, then Power Options.

Help.jpg

Help1.jpg

thanks guys!

i dont think this is a monitor issue tho, is it? im more concerned about why it exits to the login screen from the desktop.

It sounds to me like it is going into standby or hibernation. You may also have a screen saver that opens the login screen. Disable hibernation and set standby to never and see what that does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom