Website names and topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay_bo

Daemon Poster
i'm not sure really where this is ment to go, sorry.

I am thinking of creating a website, i have created one before on work experience for my dad. I dont know what i want to create it on, e.g. games,sports. i was hoping if some1 could come up with a good website name and should suggest what topice i should do it on.

Lol, it would be a bit weird to just make a website about anything, would it.

If you're any good at website design, you could set up a little web design company and make some nice profit. :) Otherwise just pick something that you're really passionate about and that you'd have ideas for to make it different than other sites about that topic. E.g. if you are crazy about football, then make a football website where visitors can check the news but also play some games and bet (although this might be a little over your head. But then again, I really wouldn't have a clue how good you are at any of this).

What kind of ideas do you hav on making profit, like selling clothes?:S I was thinking of making a games website but not sure of what games i can and cannot use for example i dont know if your allowed to use games off miniclip.com, i hav tired emailing them but they haven't emailed me back

thanks Phrantic for your time:)

Maybe just stick with a weblog or something for now, until you're really sure this is what you want. Because owning and maintaining a site is a lot of work, and you'll grow tired of it, eventually.

You could make a gaming specific blog, where you could put online gaming news and write your own game reviews. It is totally legal to link to games on miniclip.com and just say "check this game out, it's teh 1337!".

There are plenty of blog tools out there but if you want the challenge you can make it yourself entirely, if you're good at coding, make it interactive so people can reply and post their own news / links / etc. up, or just get some free script that does this all for you. :p
Then if you decide you want to move on, to make a site with a more professional and less personal feel, you could go bigger.

Take a look at http://www.nlhd.com, a site I started about six years ago and stopped working on a year or two ago. While it looks a bit empty and dead due to inactivity, it shows how much fun you could get from having a website. In my case, I was a passionate hip-hop fan, so I made a hip-hop website. People could read news and exclusive album reviews written by ourselves, as well as upload their self made music online and share it with the (Dutch) world.
It was great fun, because we got connections that got us onto guestlists so we could attend concerts for free, interview big artists and receive free press material to review or just pimp for the fun of it. :D

A gaming site can work in a really similar way to my music site. But don't plan to do anything that big until you have plenty of experience with more modest websites. As a reference: my first ever website was an Eminem fansite, containing five pages that did not need to be updated. Start small like this (e.g. by following the weblog plan I just gave as an example) and if you find out it's your thing (and learn more about the technology) you can move onto bigger projects. :)

As for profit, this should not be your goal, but it's always nice if you can convert your traffic into money. Advertisement banners are the most obvious ways to make money, but look at what we did: we got affiliated with several on-line shops and we would sell their products through our site (partially), earning us a nice bit of money.

Originality may also be a thing you're going for - I've had so many propositions to make an English version of NLHD, but I never did. How many English hip-hop websites are there?
Whatever you do, just do something that you really like, and do it on a subject you are really passionate about. Huge traffic and profit will come later. :)

Sorry if I got carried away a little bit there, old memories. :D

how do you make a search engine on your site so it searchs the website, also how do you make a log in system?

The search engine is SQL driven, it uses PHP to scan different tables in my MySQL database, this requires a solid ground of PHP/MySQL knowledge but there should be easier solutions and ready-to-use scripts out there (that are probably less effective and customisable, mind).

As for the log-in system; my site doesn't use it so I don't know where you got the idea from, but again the most popular and efficient way in my opinion would be having a MySQL database of users and letting PHP communicate to it with sessions, cookies and such.

Things like these aren't easy to explain in three steps as they require a lot of work to be set up; I would firstly focus on making your website functional and then look into some free scripts that can help you, or start learning into PHP, I think it's really the easiest interactive language out there to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom