Buy a new system or upgrade current?

Status
Not open for further replies.
apokalipse said:
yes. socket 754 is DDR1 only, and it is AGP in the vast majority of cases.

the only different thing would be the CPU socket; but this would be for a new CPU anyway.

Great, and if I was to get one of those, should I get a new processor since that would basically be the very last thing in my computer that hasn't been upgraded?

apokalipse said:
you could upgrade the motherboard to socket 754, and get a Sempron. Sempron's are quite cheap now, and they perform pretty well.
the Sempron's are AMD's cheaper CPU's. they're the same as Athlon 64's, but with less L2 cache; usually that doesn't do much if anything to slow it down.

I've got one in my system, and it does a pretty good job. and now they're quite cheap, so their price vs performance is really good.

apokalipse said:

From what I know (not a lot), that only has 2 RAM slots? I would really like to have more so that I would transport my previous two 512 sticks and possibly buy another 512 to have 1.5 gigs of RAM? I don't really know but it sounds nice to me.

Maybe one thats Socket 754 with 3 RAM slots? It's not big deal but it would help to have the extra ram. I found one on newegg and it had some pretty bad reviews.. so I avoided that one. Also, I would like to try to find one with a PCI-E slot for later on down the road when it's time for a new video card... But I don't know if all that is possible in one motherboard. What's your thoughts?

Thanks for all your help, looks like i'm just buying the mobo with the AGP and PCI-E slots, as well as a Sempron.

Sorry to bump this topic but after researching a little more, I have decided to make a bit larger of an upgrade than I thought.

I've looked around and decided that I should get a socket 939 instead of 754.

I think that this motherboard/processor would work well with my setup. If someone could verify for me that this combo would work well, I would appreciate it.

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157097

Processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103545

If not, could you suggest something better for me? Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom