Hdd makin wierd sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

3Lancer06

Solid State Member
Hi,
my hdd is making wierd sounds.. like there is sumthing rollin in there and often sounds like its turning of and on...

but it still works :S . when i restart it goes system disk errorr or sumthing... but when i remove power from few components (CD-rom , case fan ) it seem to boot up win xp ok..

i recently installed new CPU cooler and another case fan (total 3x80mm's )

the problem hdd is the WD 80GB one

Specs:

3x80mm Case fan
Zalman 7000 Cu CPU cooler
3.2GHz Intel prescott
661 FM2 micro ATX MSI m/B
WD 80GB iDE HDD (primary, OS)
Seagate 120GB sata (files)
400W PSU

ne suggestions will b grateful

i performed the data lifeguard diagnostic program from western digital it passed it on the 2nd go. the 1st go it reach a Read SMART command error.

a new drive is the only answer??? but it still working . me runnin on it now , is there way to test the hdd.

hey me again, me discovered another problem, the sound from mp3 is bit scratching and sometimes freezes, when i run a program e.g limewire or internet explorer

ne suggestions ?? i do have antoher comp i use for testing,,,??? or even install XP on my SATA drive and then test..?? ne advice??

its kinda getin annoying

Diagnostic tools will check for problems/errors in all the electrical parts of a HDD, like the processor and whatnot. Diagnostic tools won't pickup physical damage.

If you hear something "rolling around", chances are something is not right.

As for it turning on and off, that could be a power supply issue.

The sound thing could be a driver conflict, could be the sound card, could be a lot of things. The freezing could be a lot of things as well.

people make things so difficult. This is a wasted post. If a computer part makes noise and it shouldn't then just replace it cause it will die soon if it didn't allready.

exactly. had same problem if you have valuable data on it, and need a few more minutes to get it off, you can try the freezer trick. Put it in a ziplock bag, squeeze the air out, freeze it for about an hour, get the most important files, and work your way to less important files.

and it should work, casue i got a wd 80gb, and its constantly overheating and making these dreadful noises. got it bolted to a peice of aliminum mounted to the case with heatsinks and fans on that. when that fails, its all hail the magical freezer, then boom, got about another 2 weeks till it errors again. (tho even with the freezer, the pc still takes ~ 15 seconds after the bios says booting from hdd c: till it says xp.

hey guys the battle is over, lucky i bakuped my music and my doc.. **** 4got to bakup the software installer and drivers :(

my bad ... yeah its finally dead ,, i read this post but late ..

neways thanks guys

gotta head to computer store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom