harddrive help

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0toriou5

In Runtime
how do i find out what kind of hard drive i have? i have everest, but it dosen't say. if i were to switch mobos, would i need a new hd, or are they not connected?
thanks in advance

hmm...usually everest will tell you, but you could also try any of the 3dmarks programs, pcwizard, or sisoft sandra. If you switch mobo, you don't need a new HD. You just need to do a clean install of Windows.

Device manager should tell you something also. Unless it is a particularily old drive, should be able to reuse. And there are ways to use the present install, but its alot of work and not as good as format/cleaninstall. If you have a decent, fast drive, and the new board used the same interface (sata or ide) no problem, or you'd need a controller or an adapter.

Don't mean to hijack this, but the SATA drive I have uses the 4-pin molex as the power connector. Is this some other type of SATA you linked ethereal?

Most sata use a different power connector...requires adapter for molex. Its sata specific only. Some include both connections on drive, and you use either.

ssss.jpg

does this mean IDE?

That is only the controller, properties should show what is connected to them. Above 4 lines in dev magr, under disk drives, is the actual drive id'd, click it, and the drive name/mn displays. The barracuda is an ata/ide drive.
You can insatll another ide if you have an open connector on ri bon ide cable and you jumper the opticals/disk drives on them properly. It dioesnt show whether you have a sata controller though. Dev mgr should also have heading for "scsi/sata raid"controler. If not, you will need to buy a sata adapter or pci sata card in order to use a serial interface drive.

There's a real simple way. Take off the side panel of your case and take a gander in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom