Ms Dos 6.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link68759

Baseband Member
I got a really old computer from my job, and I set it up and decided I wanted an operating system on it (lol). I tried a variety of linuxes (all of which sucked btw). One of them, had to convert the file system to fat32 (or something else idk), and after throwing away that one, i stumbled upon my old MS DOS 6.2 disks. Unfortunately, all they do is format the drive and tell me an error has occured, cannont continue setup. I have tried these disks on two other computers and they were able to format a Win NT and XP no problem. What can I do to get it working? There is no OS on the drive currently.

Please, don't simply say "Linux sucks" if you didn't take any time to actually learn how to use it. If you just installed it hoping for it to be as hand-guided as Windows, you're already off on the wrong foot.

actually the ones I tried couldn't do anything (linux). most of them kept saying features like things like "this feature is not yet implemented" for everything I did. I found slax and I like that though... still would rather have DOS

No, sorry that bootdisk didnt work. well it did but didn't change the outcome. I tried using my XP Cd to format full NTFS, but that got me two pages further into MS DOS setup... but no cigar. I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with the drive

DOS doesnt use NFTS or FAT32. Insert your WinXP CD and delete the partitions. Either that or use the boot disc with the FDisk command.

From there you should have a RAW drive. That will allow you to install DOS.

DOS is a OS in itself and does use the NTFS or FAT32 file system. I think it might use the FAT16 but not sure on that. I do know that NTFS will not allow for DOS install.

NTFS and DOS don't work together, DOS needs a FAT file system (not sure if 32 actually works, I can't remember). If you want to test the drive see if one of those disks/bootdisks have chkdsk on it and run:
chkdsk /r
Or download any free drie fitness test to look for physical problems.
Try installing Freedos, that's always worked for me.
http://www.freedos.org/freedos/files/

I will try freedos, but I'm just posting to say a full format with FAT did not work. If dos doesn't work on FAT32, that may be why, BUT I sucessfully installed DOS on a computer previously running Windows NT, nothing but the original DOS disks. That had to be NTFS, FAT32 at least.

EDIT - I reread your post and realized I never tried installing DOS after deleting partitions without formatting with WinXP. Will try.

Windows XP is currently on it, but I'd rather have DOS lol. Three other computers down there are running DOS 6.22, Win3.1 and Tabworks. I made a network and I have friends over to celebrate the classics (doom mainly) with multiplayer. That's my motivation, if anyone was wondering. Plus I've never ever have DOS or Win3.1 crash on me, and it's kindof nostalgic working with that stuff :) .

To go into greater detail, formatting with the boot disks makes the drive make weird clicking noises... When formatting under the XP cd takes 20 minutes longer, but no clicks.... and it actually works.

Weird, I've never encountered that myself. You should run a drive fitness test to look for physical problems. There are lots of free ones, they're all pretty much the same.

Ok, I finally got it running. Deleting partitions then using the DOS disks to format did the trick. Will try a test later. Thanks for your help jorsoft03 and Makaveli213

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom