New to this whole Computer thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdm BB6

Baseband Member
When I say new, I want to say I know the basics and then some. A bit about me is, I attend college and have taken C with advanced C while also adventuring off into C++. I work for Radio shack and would like a more IT job, my brother is geek squad for Best Buy and my father is a Networking admin, I fit know where in this equation and I am trying to spark my interest, especially by next semester ill have an associates degree in Computer Information Systems.

I guess what I am trying to understand more about is computers in general, about motherboards, about overclocking, and speeds and whatÂ’s compatible with what type of other hardwareÂ’s. Before flaming, I have done a bit of research and wiki's and GoogleÂ’s and have also read the stickies but am still not getting only because... I donÂ’t know, maybe I need hands-on more than structured readings.

Is there anyone out there that can help me out, if I have an issue or a question; walk me through it. In other words, take me under their wing. Its horrible me asking this but I have found my brother to be very childish in not teaching me nor answering my questions when being more hands on at home like when he builds a new PC and same goes with my father but heÂ’s more busy with work or household tasks.

Thanks for looking,
Deric

You'll want to read a book on the subject. ;) Sticking around here, you'll find out what motherboards/processors/videocards/etc are good, but you won't really know how they work. Try to find a good A+ Certification book and maybe take the test in the future; A+ Certification is almost a must nowadays for even the simplest hardware jobs (GeekSquad, etc.).

Lol, when I saw the name of the topic, I was planning to say something along the lines of "Welcome to 25 years ago." :p

I'm 17. :)

But I still recommend reading a book, preferably an up-to-date one. Might I recommend starting with one of the "Dummies..." series? No offense, but they make excellent books, and I learned a lot from the hardware one. :) After that, maybe go on to an A+ Certification one, that'll help you prepare for the A+ Certification test.

10-4

my issue is i read a good amount but my issue is... i think i need hands on try stuff

find a cheap a$$ pc somewhere, but I am sure with your brother and dad in depth with computers so much there has got to be something laying around the house.

It is pretty basci stuff though. Like motherboards compatibilty with cpu's varies by "sockets" for example a socket 939 amd 3500 cpu will fit in a socket 939 motherboard.

New RAM is either ddr (184pin) or ddr2 (249pin... I think) As long as you stick them in the right direction in a ddr2 supported system for ddr2 memory and the same for ddr then you will be ok.

Hard drives are all changing over to the sata2 transfer setup. You may be familar with the older IDE version which is still common. Telling these apart is a no brainer, sata2 has a little plug. and IDE has the ribbon wire with a really long skinny plug.

Graphics cards are all today in PCI-E form. which is a lot faster than agp equipment. It is as easy as putting in any other PCI device just has a little bit longer slot and contact strip.

Power supplies are just little plugs you plug into components requiring power.

That is a start. If you want to know about overclocking You can email me. It is in my sig at the bottom of my post.

What is it that you're trying to learn though? Building a computer and hanging around these forums is more of a hobby-ish thing. If you're looking for a job in the field, then you'll need a college course in the subject, maybe even a basic one (funny hearing me say that, probably, as I'm still in High School :p). If you're looking for credentials to help you get a different job, then A+ Certification is the absolute basic thing that you'll need to probably even be considered.

A+ Certification will probably bring you up to the Hardware level of your brother, since that's what you need to join Geek Squad. A lot of people here would call GS noobs and other unsavory things, but the fact is that GS knows how to troubleshoot. Anyone can build a computer, it's trying to figure out what's wrong with it that takes skill. Yeah, they charge $150 for setting up an internet connection, something most of us could do in out sleep, but they do other things too. :)

What's wrong with programming though? C++ knowledge would open more (and better) job opportunities than hobbyist hardware knowledge ever could.

Wow, thanks a lot fella's so far the info is good, i am on dummies.com and also barnesandnoble.com i will choose the books i want and pick them up before work tomorrow. GS is ok, its more about credentials with that type of job, but its still more reputable than mine, and when you makeing 18 dollars an hour and im only making 13 on commission, umm haha

Lance, i will email you, thank you

I want the go with Networking Admin instead of programming. i dont like it, its too much trouble shooting and its getting harder even with c3 and .net coming forth now a days... i want to know how the hardware works, the special terms and ins and outs if i could

Thanks guys,
Deric

I picked up about a dozen old pc's when I started leaarning, and began by making a few working computers mix and matching parts. I had no manuals, driver discs, and just had to learn it all, searching and trying drivers, swapping parts, reinstalling OS. Sold a few, gave more away to family/friends, kept a couple for my own use. When you start a project like this, using hardware spanning from 386/486, socket 7, p2 and 3, socketA, you really get the gist of it...although it at times seems very impossible! Soldier on, and it becomes clearer eventually...
Also picked up alot of books...which BTW I'm willing to sell for a dime on the dollar!
Email me at my yahooad(timo1st@)and we can work something out if interested in some app and hardware literature.

Ya I would go the the buy sell and trade section inhere and post a thread asking if anyone has any hardware or computer tech books they dont need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom