Computer Junk

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyjoony

Solid State Member
I have this OLD compaq desktop. like letarally OLD. It's about 6 and a half years old now. I found an old 3.5 quantum fireball hard drive, and i was thinking of putting it in my new computer i'm going to get. Is it possible if i put the hard drive into my new computer, can it harm my new computer? or will it help it, or do nothing? Every bit of advice will be helpful, ty.

Probably harm. Considering how old it is, it may have a slower turn speed than modern hard drives, thus affecting performance.

Unless you put files on there that don't need much speed, like documents.

it wont do anything if its a secondary drive i do not recommend to use that drive as your primary (the drive windows is in) because as said before performance

um, yea it's gonna be my secondary, but how will i know which ones my primary, are their specific slots?

There are specific cables for master and slave. The master one goes to, you guessed it, the primary, it should be clearly labeled. Then the slave section on that same cable goes to the secondary.

ok, thnx. Last question is it labeled slave? and master? or is it labeled other names.

thnx for help

also jumper pins you have to set your primary drive as master and your secondary as slave.

you have to put the master at the end of the cable then the slave in the middle and the end of the cable goes to the mobo.
the end of the cable is where the connectors are the farthest apart.

i found a really old hard drive laying around that had 512mb on it. How are you supposed to put any games on a 512mb hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom