No beeps, fans spinning, NO video - please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

regeisle

In Runtime
I just got my e6400 system up and running a few weeks ago and am putting together a system for my dad with old P4 parts. Got the basics hooked up ... 1 hd, 1 pptical, ati 9600 pro vid card. I power up for the first time and sounds like it should sound - all fans spinning, no beeps, no strange noises.

Problem is I get no video whatsoever. I thought maybe it was the card (although I had this exact card running earlier today when i was getting the last of my files off). I dropped in an older 9000 pro and still no video. The fan on the 9600 is spinning, so it has enough of a connection to the mobo for at least that to happen. The only front panel connectors I have hooked up are on/off and reset, if that matters.

The old parts include: p4 2.8, Intel D865PERL mobo, radeon 9600 pro, WD 80 gb (with random files on it - no OS), NEC dvd, old crt that was also working earlier today

Does anyone have recommendation for troubleshooting? Are there any initial steps you need to take when it's a new build from old parts - do i need to reset the mobo somehow?

Let me know if you need more info. Thanks guys!

Does this motherboard have onboard video. If so make sure and disable it in your BIOS.

no onboard video - one other thing, and this is a no-brainer almost, but it's a 350w psu, down from a 420. I assume that's plenty to power the p4, hd and dvd, but just wanted to clarify that. i'll try the battery now.

OK, reset the cmos and no luck. Something else strange that is happening ... when I have both the hd and the dvd hooked up to mobo, the dvd drive doesn't have any power - the open button won't open it. BUT, if I remove the mobo ide connector and leave the power plugged in to the drive, it does get power and I can open it.

Well then it sounds like a mobo problem. Easy solution is to get a new mobo. But before you do that, check around for any loose connections.

And if the mobo is fracked up, then there would be no beeps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom