I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistressotdark

Beta member
I am trying to rebuild a computer that I had running in the past..
1.14 ghz amd. I built it several years ago but then bought a 2.8 ghz when I found one on sale because the cmos battery died..ya I changed the battery but I wanted faster...so..
I put that one in the closet for awhile..Now I want to get it back up and running just to play games on.
I had a 20 gig and a 40 gig in the apartment...
(my new computer which i'm typing on has an 80 gig and a 40 gig) which are both in use.

My problem is the bios on the 1.14 ghz computer sees the 40 gig hd but when it does the post checking it doesn't see it..so I tried the 20..but that tells me hard drive failure imminent please back up your drive etc..

how do I get the post to see the 40 gig drive ? or is it dead?

I'll bet it needs a bios flash to get large disc access. Its probably old enough to have the large disc problem.

Well, if the bios is late enough to acess large drives, thats clearly not the issue. Try another ide cable, different slot (to rule out controller) and jumper settings. Drive could also be bad, what does scandsk or drives native ute tell you?

Make sure it is connected and jumpered correctly, also could try to use it as the only drive to test. Discconect the others, inc opticals, and set it up as master. If its a WD there is an alternate jumper scheme for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom