Getting files: Access Denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jolinar

Solid State Member
Ok, this may be a bit.

Yesterday my computer started acting up. I ended up having to do a system recovery. When I did this though, it deleted all of my names (User accounts). In Windows Explorer I can still see them though, and even access the old files of that one.

Now, the main user account I used on this computer needed a password, so I assume that is why it is giving me an access denied message when I try to open it.

Is there any way I could be able to see these files? As I said, the accounts are erased from the main welcome page, so I wouldn't be able to click on it from there to type in a password.

Please tell me there is a way I can view these files (I was in the middle of making a photo CD of most of the pictures I have of my daughter (digital) and they are all on that name! If I don't get access it will be gone forever.).

logon as a administrator

right click the folder that gives you access denied

click properties

click security tab

click advanced button

click owner tab

select name of the user you are logged on as

check the replace on all subfolders and files box

click ok

you should be able to access the files.

what version of windows?

if 2k or xp, make sure you are logged on a an administrator. check in control panel's users and passwords (xp)

Jolinar said:
There is no security tab.

To display the "Security" tab:

Open a folder, and go to Tools->Folder Options->View, uncheck "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)", OK. Now when you view a folder's properties, it should show the "Security" tab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom