Good computer? Should I buy a new one? 2 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tolkien

Baseband Member
Hey, I've had my computer for 2 years now... when I bought it it was very good ( at 2200$ it should have **** **** been good ), but now with the pci-e and the new dual cores.. I dont know if this computer can live for another 3 years? run games? should i upgrade, if so; what should I upgrade. Should i just invest in a new computer??

Processor: Intel P (4) 3.20 GHz - 800 MHz FSB - 200MHz x 16 multiplier - Prescott HT Technology.

MB: ASROCK P4V88... 4 ddr slots, 1x agp, 4 x pci + normal slots

Memory: 1x 512 MB DDR 200Mhz NONAME brand
2x 512 MB CORSAIR DDR 200MHz + iron clad (upgraded a month ago)

Video: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (upgraded a month ago)

HD: 180G partitioned.

PoweSupply: 450W (upgraded a week ago)

Case: CoolerMaster WaveMaster TAC - T01 (upgraded a week ago)

Arctic silver 5 thermal paste + stock heatsink + fan cpu cooling... in addition to the 4x 80mm fans in the case...

tell me what you think!

That system should last you another yr on mid settings for new games (except cyrsis), after that, then you might prob will want to up grade. Have you considered building one. If not, then all you can do is go to dealer websites (ie HP, dell, alienware, i think alot of ppl on here who don't build like ibuypower.com alot (or is that for laptops?)) and configure one for the best preformance to price.

But most of the replys are gonna tell you to build your own to get the best preformance to price ratio, and its true. up to you

good luck, and if you decide to build your own, we'll suggest some parts and all you need to do is give us a budget and read a "how to build a computer guide" (which won't take you 15min, and this forum has great stickies to get you started) to fomalurize yourself with the different components.

A word of advice though if you go to ibuypower.

No matter what case you select it seems, it seems that the website configurator will still offer you neon lighting and extra case fans. Dont get them, because most cases already light up anyway. Because if you did choose them, ibuypower would:

1. start drilling holes into your case to compliment fans and neon

or

2. just throw those extra fans and neon you chose in the box with the rig.

Do all that work yourself seperatly if you want extras. Don't let those goofballs do it.

Well that computer wont last you 3 yrs. maybe mid 07 you would still be able to tolerate it.

for a good computer to build right now I would suggest some core components like this.

cpu: core 2 duo e6300 or e6600, depeding on your budget.
GPU: 7900gs if you have a tight budget, 8800gts if you want dx10 and can cough up 460 dollars for a graphics card.
Memory: 2gb of ddr2 667mhz if you dont oc much, or 800mhz if you plan on oc'ing
PSU: 500watt would do you fine for the 7900gs, but I might recomend a 550w for the 8800gts
hard drive: 250gig sata2, or a 320gig with a 16mb cache

That would be a good system with whatever parts you decide to go with.

yah ok so no i buypower. with the current influx of new technology, though constant, i think now would be a good time to upgrade if u have the money with 8800 out and the core2duo you could make a system that would pwn for many many years....although if u did wait you will prolly see a decent price drop in a year time but who wants to wait .

How can I upgrade with a 8800 if I dont have PCI-E, only AGP, or core2duo without the right socket number ?:p

If I'm going to be changing mb + processor + vid card I might as well get a new computer and leave this one as an ftp or an IRC server or something...

i would hold off for 9-12months if you can, ati and amd will probably have a competitive card to nvidia's 8800gtx/gts and intel's c2d (speculation) which should cause a price drop *i hope*

cwiz said:
i would hold off for 9-12months if you can, ati and amd will probably have a competitive card to nvidia's 8800gtx/gts and intel's c2d (speculation) which should cause a price drop *i hope*

I would only hold off 4 months and then build a new computer, but if you want to save like $150, then I guess wait 9 months..

lancec2c30 said:
you will always be waiting 9 months, or 3 months, or 6 months. Just buy what you want now.

I normally agree with that, but with the r600 being released within a few months I think it would be smarter to wait just a tad bit longer, get some benchmarks, and we might see some significant price drops as well as a wider range of cards to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom