Obliterating Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

gloomer

In Runtime
I want to completely remove Windows 98 from my computer but I don't know how.

It does not come with an uninstal.exe

I'm thinking it needs some command in the DOS prompt but I just want to make sure everything is completely removed.

So it has no OS. I just want to get rid of windows 98 and then install a linux distro as my new OS.

Help?

just boot from the linux disc, it should give u an option to either let linux take over the whole drive or dual boot

take the first option.

If this is the computer you plan on turning into a Linux server, just use the Linux installer to format the drive.

I know it's not an app. But I remember reading somewhere to type uninstall.exe

To boot up in dos prompt and type that or something.

I'm sorry I'm just not used to getting rid of windows.

(It's about time)

gloomer said:
I know it's not an app. But I remember reading somewhere to type uninstall.exe

To boot up in dos prompt and type that or something.

I'm sorry I'm just not used to getting rid of windows.

(It's about time)

Never heard about typing the uninstall.exe before, it's probably just another small formatting application or gets rid of the OS by overwriting it, renamed to look obvious. You know when the FBI about to knock down your doors.

gloomer said:
I want to completely remove Windows 98 from my computer but I don't know how.

It does not come with an uninstal.exe

I'm thinking it needs some command in the DOS prompt but I just want to make sure everything is completely removed.

So it has no OS. I just want to get rid of windows 98 and then install a linux distro as my new OS.

Help?

Windows cant be removed by typing in uninstall.exe even from a DOS prompt. That is only for applications not OS's.

To get rid of it use a Linux or Windows Install disc and use their format options.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom