Giant fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Roberto

In Runtime
okay i can get a giant fan from a car radiator very easily, what i was wondering is if i put one of these in my pc (at the side), other than dust, would ther be any problems doing this.
i have heard that using to bigger fans causes static buldup or something, dont really know if this is true...

if i did use one of theese fans then id prolly run it quite slow and would have 3 other 120mm fans on a 360mm radiator for watercooling +the 2 80mm fans in my psu...

fans for car radiators are usually driven by a belt that is a take off from the drive train... are you mounting the engine on the back of it or...;) :rolleyes: :p

actualy im wanting to build a case myself.

and cwiz if your car uses a belt to drive the fan it must be very old because they stopped doing that years ago, my dad just threw out 3 radiator fans from cars that had electric motors :(

cool cool, i wasnt hatin' on u... i just got a funny picture in my head and had to share. idk if a normal psu will be able to support the current required by a car fan... when fans get that big the motor power required grows at a squared rate (rotational inertia) the motor on the fan probably has a voltage/current rating... what is it?

yeah your right i prolly will have to run it off of a seperate psu it is 12v but im unshure of the current but itd be dam high, prolly about 1-2amps max though, so a cheap psu should do it,

something like this here

and it could also power the pump and other fans/lights

Autmotive electrical cooling fan will draw on order of 10 amps. They have huge wind resistance at speed, AND are required to move ALOT of air. High pitch, large blades equals HUGE resistance. Probably also outputs a ton of HEAT and emi itself from their electric motor lol, I wouldnt use one of those. Sure you could get it to work, BUT be far better off with something actually sized appropriately.

Simply drilling a side panel hole for the cpu/heatsink fan itself will drop your temps signifigantly, as outside case air is substantially cooler than recirculating preheated inside case air over cpu hs fans....

i would do that, but make a sepreate encloseure about 20 feet away and use like 3-5 dryer ducts to transfer the air, use a heavy duty 110 to 12v adapter from the wall with a dimmer switch on the 12v side to control fan speed. (tho, i would much rather using this 24in box fan that i use anyways to cool the pc down when i get the beep o death(the O **** ITS GONNA BLOW alarm, aka overheating)

If you do decide to put the fan as the case side make sure that there's enough holes elsewhere in the case to keep adequate air flow, otherwise it'll be completely useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom